real time web analytics
Report - - Bovingdon Country Club, Hemel Hempstead - Aug 2024 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Bovingdon Country Club, Hemel Hempstead - Aug 2024

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

jsp77

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History
The manor house was originally built in the 16th century, then in the 18th century it became known as Bovingdon Country Club.
During the war this was visited by many celebrities during World War Two. This was where they came to entertain troops based at the airfield next door. Notable celebs included Bob Hope, James Stewart and Glenn Miller.

In 1964. The name then changed to the Bobsleigh inn after the owner's son Tony Nash - the British bobsleigh champion who won a gold medal at the Winter Olympics in Innsbruck, Austria.

5.png

Tony Nash pilots Great Britain to a gold medal victory in the two-man bobsled with Robin Dixon at the Innsbruck 1964 Winter Olympics

This is the only bobsleigh gold medal the country has won at a Winter Olympic Games.

The Bobsleigh Inn closed in 2014.

Explore
I've seen this pop up numerous times over the years but never got round to it until recently. Was a solo visit one afternoon, its fairly trashed inside with everything turned upside down. I had to be very selective with where I was pointing the camera and avoiding the mess. I really wanted to capture the mouldy beds, however there were parts that were inaccessible so I may pop back at some point if passing.

Its been playing on my mind for a few days about the mouldy beds, so I popped back for another look one evening after work. This time I had a look in the added on section as I couldn't find a way in last time, again I came across one corridor that was inaccessible, maybe they were there or have been taken away.

On with the photos
10.jpg

20.jpg

30.jpg

40.jpg

50.jpg

60.jpg

70.jpg

80.jpg

90.jpg

100.jpg

110.jpg

120.jpg

130.jpg

140.jpg

150.jpg

160.jpg

170.jpg

180.jpg

190.jpg

200.jpg

I was surprised to find a clean bedroom as all of the others were turned upside down

210.jpg

220.jpg

A few photos I came across of how it was back in day

230.jpg

240.jpg

250.jpg

260.jpg

270.jpg

280.jpg

290.jpg

300.jpg

To be continued....