real time web analytics
Report - - Carsegowan ICI Black Powder Works, Wigtown..Scotland, July 2024 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Carsegowan ICI Black Powder Works, Wigtown..Scotland, July 2024

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Mikeymutt

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I had stumbled upon this place whilst looking for other things. I am surprised it’s not been documented on here before, in fact there ain’t much documentation of it at all, and why I like things like this, places not well trodden. It’s not on the scale as other gunpowder works like Bishopton, Ardeer, Gretna and so on. But it’s not surprising as it only lasted the course of the war. The place is in the middle of nowhere, and part of the old site is used as a nature reserve, with osprey to be seen. Carsegowan moss is not surprisingly known for its Sphagnum Moss, a moss that covers the ground on heaths and moors and is essential in the creation of peat bogs. Even though the site is not the biggest gunpowder works, it’s still bigger than you think. I also had to traipse though long damp grass, I would also hate to walk through here in the winter, I can imagine it would be very boggy. But even though I had soaking feet it was lovely with butterflies everywhere and birds, even see a lot of fungi in the damp areas. It’s actually a very complete site still with two black powder mills, quite a few hidden storage bunkers, near the front is a house that was used to house the police. It had workshops, office blocks, laundry, fire station, charcoal burners and so on. Sadly two buildings had gone from so older pics I had seen and a new building placed there. A few other bits have been repurposed and been in use for years.
With the outbreak of the Second World War munitions were needed in great supply. Munition factories were buillt, a lot in Scotland like this one. It was built to produce the gunpowder and black powder, though no shells were filled here. A rail siding came into the site from a main line, and the gunpowder was transported on train to larger sites. Sadly even though it had a short shelf life as a works. It still had three explosions there, all with loss of life. The first two had happened in the mills and one in the blender. The last and biggest one happened in the Corning house. These accidents were common at gunpowder works, often through human error. Little narrow gauge rails ran through the site to transport materials around. Sadly I did not see any of these, though I know they exist. A lot of locals worked in the factory and it was highly secretive and I would imagine the official secrets act had to be signed.

Starting with what looks like a small guard house what was near the police house near the main entry gates.

IMG_5505.jpeg

Heading down the track is were you had all the main buildings. sadly only the end one is now accessible.

IMG_5504.jpeg

IMG_5506.jpeg

IMG_5508.jpeg

IMG_5509.jpeg

IMG_5510.jpeg

IMG_5512.jpeg

The mills are either side of the main track. So a fight through long grass to get too the first one. It contained little rooms underneath with skylights.

IMG_5514.jpeg

IMG_5516.jpeg

IMG_5517.jpeg

IMG_5518.jpeg

Along the building are tall rooms, and one had been absolutely crammed with recyclable material, whatever got recycled.

IMG_5519.jpeg

IMG_5521.jpeg

IMG_5524.jpeg

IMG_5525.jpeg

IMG_5526.jpeg

IMG_5529.jpeg

A concrete jetty spurs off from the mill to this building. The jetty the continues for ages tapering down to the ground slowly.

IMG_5531.jpeg

Heading to the rear of the site and there are quite a few of these mound covered bunkers. I suppose the mounds would help keep an explosion in check a bit. And these are quite spaced apart.

IMG_5537.jpeg

IMG_5538.jpeg

I did spot a few of these larger buildings as well.

IMG_5535.jpeg

IMG_5536.jpeg

Heading to the other mill, first we have a sentry post.

IMG_5541.jpeg

IMG_5542.jpeg

IMG_5545.jpeg

IMG_5546.jpeg

IMG_5547.jpeg

IMG_5548.jpeg

IMG_5549.jpeg

And finally there was a few of these little huts in a line.

IMG_5551.jpeg

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Nice find. I like places like this, all tucked away, nature everywhere. Lots of remains to explore. Heaven. And a chimney and toilet to boot ;)

Guernica03

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I believe this sits within a SSSI (Site of special scientific interest) for the peat bogs in the area. Some cool shots and always nice to see a pretty neglected region as far as urbex goes popping up.

Mikeymutt

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I believe this sits within a SSSI (Site of special scientific interest) for the peat bogs in the area. Some cool shots and always nice to see a pretty neglected region as far as urbex goes popping up.
Thank you. Yeah I believe it is an SSSI indeed. The ospreys can be seen flying over the leat bogs. The south west of Scotland does seem quite neglected.