real time web analytics
Report - - Cogan Reservoir Pump House, Cardiff, September 2024 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Cogan Reservoir Pump House, Cardiff, September 2024

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

bawdy.horror

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Been a few months since I posted here, so time to start working through the backlog again, starting with the most recent. Enjoy!

History
Following the 1839 opening of the West Bute Dock and the construction of the Taff Valley railway, Cardiff's booming trade environment and population led to the city's need for water eclipsing the supply provided by local wells, springs and the river Taff. Legislation introduced in 1850 and '53 provided improvements, but were overshadowed by a more extensive act in 1860. According to a 1905 article, 'The Corporation Waterworks undertaking':
The scheme propounded by the Act of 1860, included a storeage reservoir and filter beds at Lisvane with a catchment area of 2,200 acres, including the waters of the Llanishen, Nant Mawr, Nant Draw, Nant Felin and Nant Dulas. Intakes were constructed on these streams and the water conveyed therefrom in lines of conduit to the storage reservoir.

The following additional works were constructed, viz:— A low level service reservoir at Cogan, and a high level service reservoir at Llandough, situate 170 feet above the level of Cogan Reservoir, with pumping engines at the latter place for forcing the water up to Llandough Reservoir, from whence it could flow by gravitation to and for the supply of Penarth.
In 1904, the Cogan reservoir had a top water area of 1 rood 32 perches and a capacity of 2 million gallons. The quality of this water was commented on in an 1881 news report from the South Wales Echo:
It is true that if they looked into the reservoirs for mud or fish, they found none, and it is quite true that the assistant engineer made a perpendicular descent into the Cogan reservoir, to produce a glass of sparkling water. It is quite true that the Mayor tasted this sample and said it was good. It is quite true also several gentlemen were near who boldly affirmed that it would not be improved upon, even if whiskey was added. Well, if opinions were divided in regard to this question that did not matter. The meeting affected a teetotal subject, solely – water.

The Trip
After exploring the Silverfish Pump Station while visiting my hometown of Bridgwater, I was curious to see if any similar facilites had been left to decay around Cardiff. Sure enough, Cogan Reservoir had been sitting tucked away right under my nose for months! It's always surprising the sites you miss on initial research into an area. On the day of my discovery I took my bike down towards the bay and, after scrabbling up a steep and briar covered bank, found the resevoir and its pump house. One short and sketchy climb later and I was in! The inside was a bit of a derp, especially compared to the picturesque cottage presented from the outside. Much of the upper floor had fallen in, making traversal a series of difficult climbs for little reward. Still, the old pipes were interesting enough and no explore is ever truly a waste of time! I struggled getting good pictures as without a tripod or much knowledge of light painting I stuggle shooting in pitch black. I hope what I got is good enough anyway.

Pictures
DSC_0930.JPG

DSC_0863.JPG

DSC_0778.JPG

DSC_0858.JPG

DSC_0908.JPG

DSC_0906.JPG

DSC_0865.JPG

DSC_0729.JPG

DSC_0846.JPG

DSC_0884.JPG

DSC_0838.JPG