real time web analytics
Report - - East Tilbury Battery - October 2023 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - East Tilbury Battery - October 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Rydersynpe

28DL Member
28DL Member
History:

The battery is located just half a mile away from Coalhouse Fort, in East Tilbury. The battery was constructed in 1887-93 and supplemented Coalhouse Fort as part of the Thames’ coastal defence system. It housed six 10 and 6 inch long range firing weapons, mounted on disappearing carriages. There was two six-pdr guns on the left and right most sides, and two heavy 10-pdr guns in the middle. The battery was quite innovative in that it used the new method of hoisting rounds up to the guns from underground tunnels, and it was also aimed down the Thames and not across it, signalling the advancement in range and accuracy that rifled breech-loading guns had, being able to shoot further than simply across the river. Another innovation was that a simple non-climbable spiked metal fence was used to secure its perimeter, rather than moats and ditches seen in Coalhouse Fort itself, and castles from as far back as 1,000 years ago.

The battery was decommissioned in 1913 and later sold to a local farmer for £1200 in 1930. He used it as an unofficial air raid shelter during the second world war.

The Explore:

It took me a while to research this one, partly due to it being our first official urbex. After exploring the area a few days before I realised it wasn’t where I thought and had to go back to the drawing board. After reading more reports it was apparent that the battery was closer to the park than I had first expected.

As always we left in the early hours of the morning. On entry however, hidden barbed wire gave my dad some memorable scars. Once into the battery we made are way through numerous tunnels and rooms. The cartridge lift was a great addition to this well kept and mostly unvandalised piece of history. A great first urbex for us, would highly recommend those who are just starting or those who love military buildings.

397940B5-EDCB-4E86-AEE3-EB2F1ECDDD62.jpeg

B0E90E02-3A95-4CED-8343-27481CDAFA95.jpeg

8B76DEA7-C87E-42BB-848B-ED0DF82CFE94.jpeg

1D2F6EE8-56D7-48ED-88C3-8EE371E29F48.jpeg

1C572316-CA42-4967-ADD6-4FB727EDF2B3.jpeg

65958B39-0E97-4879-AACD-5C3CC66E23CF.jpeg

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User
Nice one, good to see this classic getting some love again. Can't count how many times I've been here over the years and it still has some incredibly well preserved sections