real time web analytics
Report - - Engine Shed- Faversham, Kent - August 2024 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Engine Shed- Faversham, Kent - August 2024

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Kennex418

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Having seen a few reports on this one and loving a good bit of disused rail infrastructure, i knew i just had to go and check this one out for myself.

History
Faversham initially being a terminus ensured that locomotive facilities were provided here from the outset. The first engine shed was a small, two-track dead-end affair, positioned beside the ''up'' line, just beyond the level crossing to the immediate west of the original station. This came into use with the latter in 1858. Services between Faversham and Chatham commenced on 25th January 1958, with through running between Victoria and Canterbury starting from 3rd December 1860. Faversham became a junction on 1st August 1860, with the opening of the Whitstable extension, and to coincide with this, the decision was taken to erect an enlarged locomotive depot. This was to be located within the triangle created by the diverging lines, and consist of a brick-built dead-end structure accommodating two westward-facing tracks. When commissioned, the building measured 34-foot by 202-foot, featured a vented pitched-roof, and to its west existed a turntable. Whilst this later building became the main engine shed at the site, the earlier-opened structure continued to be used in conjunction with it.

In October 1897, a complete rebuilding of Faversham station commenced, which included total upheaval of locomotive and goods facilities. The original engine shed of 1858 was abolished, and the 1860-built depot was doubled in size. This was achieved by erecting another two-road dead-end building adjoining the northern elevation of the existing structure. The extension matched the dimensions of the latter and similarly demonstrated a vented pitched roof, but unlike its counterpart, this featured sloping ends, as per a pyramid. Attached to the northern elevation of the new building were single-storey brick-built offices, which extended for approximately half the shed's length, and beside these was a three-storey high water tank. The existing turntable was removed and a larger, 49-foot 11-inch replacement installed at an alternate site, immediately to the north-east of the shed buildings. The opportunity was also taken at this time to build a wagon repair shop: this 100-foot long building was instantly recognisable as a product of the LC&DR. The structure was positioned north of, and at forty-five degrees to, the engine shed, being sandwiched in-between the turntable and the departing Whitstable line. Crème brick construction was used throughout, and the building incorporated the same semi-circular orange-brick window frames found on the main structures at the rebuilt station.

The 1939 Gillingham electrification resulted in the complete closure of the shed at Strood (it subsequently becoming a goods depot); the locomotive allocation at Gillingham itself fell by approximately half. By this time, the shed at Faversham had already lost its own independent depot status, and both it and Gillingham were worked virtually as one depot, under a common management. In the meantime, modifications had been made to the site at Faversham: the original 1860-built two-road shed had been subject to a re-roofing exercise in 1935. This included the removal of the western and eastern timber-built triangular roof façades, and the dispensing of the slate tiles. All these features were replaced with corrugated asbestos sheeting, which continued to be arranged in a pitched-roof fashion. Compared with slate, this material was cheap and easy to use, but more importantly, it was fire proof. It was left to British Railways to carry out further alterations; within two years of its existence, the Southern Region had extensively modified the 1898-completed shed building. This had included the complete demolition of the roof structure, leaving just the side walls, and the insertion of a concrete lintel across the building's entrance, to support the new roof structure. With reference to the latter, this featured a trapezium-shaped cross section (as per that which soon appeared at the modified Tonbridge shed), complete with a steel frame clad with corrugated asbestos sheeting.

''Phase 1'' of the February 1956-approved Kent Coast Electrification Scheme was to signal the end of Faversham as a steam shed. By the summer of 1958, conductor rail had already been delivered to the station site, and by the end of the year, work commenced on converting the engine shed into a diesel depot. The full accelerated electric timetable on the ''Chatham'' main line came into use on 15th June 1959, by which time the shed had become completely redundant as a steam base. The aforementioned conversion works had included the installation of cylindrical fuel tanks alongside the shed approach tracks, and the demolition of the original 1860-erected building, the latter of which also saw the removal of tracks from this portion of the site. The turntable remained in situ right up until 1966, and the 1898-completed shed and accompanying offices, in addition to the wagon repair shop of the same era, were spared. By the early 1970s, the diesel depot had begun to decline, and the remaining shed building was occasionally used for rolling stock storage. At some point in the late 1970s Faversham diesel depot, as it now was, shut and the trackwork connecting it to the mainline removed. Today only the 1898 completed shed and offices, along with the wagon repair shed remain, and whilst derelict they are Grade II listed. However it possible to see where the turntable once was given the gaping circular whole in one area of the site, with a lonesome buffer stop at the east end.

The Explore

Having read the other reports i was a little concerened about access and security, given that this is still on network rail land, which carries far greater penalties than the regular explore if caught, but access proved far easier than i had anticipated and it was a calm uneventful explore. Once inside the atmosphere was amazing and i had a truly wonderful time exploring and take in this beautiful old bit of rail infrastructure. It was also a perfect opportunity to try and get to grips with my recently aquired DSLR camera and be able to play around with that in relative peace. The office buildings are very decayed and full of pigeon shit and feathers as well as alive pigeons but the sheds themselves have stood the test of time and decay far better.

Unfortunately once i had reached the old wagon repair shed, my camera battery had been drained, from this and other recent explores, so the rest of the explore had to be captured on the phone but it was still truly amazing. That was a lesson learnt to check ones camera battery before setting off. Given that the old wagon shed is that positioned right up against the Margate Coast line, it is very visible from passing trains, so i did have to be a bit careful getting in and out of there but even this proved problem free. But overall this was an explore i thoroughly enjoyed, eventhough it was relatively simple. It really made wish i had been old enough and into exploring back when Euston Downside Carriage shed was still a thing, so railbex explores will definitely be high on my radar now. Just gotta find some time to pop up and do the Newcastle one at some point.

The Photos

The 1897 carriage shed

DSC_0249.JPG

DSC_0270.JPG

DSC_0294.JPG

DSC_0281.JPG

DSC_0282.JPG

DSC_0243.JPG

Office rooms connected to the 1897 Shed

DSC_0252.JPG

DSC_0262.JPG

DSC_0248.JPG

DSC_0237.JPG

Outbuilding

DSC_0306.JPG

Wagon Repair Shed

20240808_171255[1].jpg

20240808_171531[1].jpg

20240808_171734[1].jpg

20240808_171654[1].jpg

20240808_171856[1].jpg

Thanks for Reading :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Mikeymutt

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nicely done. It's such a gorgeous place, I fell in love with it, especially the smaller repair shed. I thought this was quite sealed for easy access now.