real time web analytics
Report - - Eye Brook Reservoir Overflow, Leics, Aug15 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Eye Brook Reservoir Overflow, Leics, Aug15

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

The Wombat

Mr Wombat
28DL Full Member
Explore with JuJu, KM Punk & Lost Explorer on a beautiful summers day.

This place exceeded expectations; the scale of the overflow is epic. Being under the actual overflow vents, at the bottom of the reservoir level gives you a sense of impending doom. If water were to be cascading out those vents whilst you were under it; it would be surely be curtains. Fortunately water levels in the lake were low.

Thanks to KM Punk for this one. :thumb

The reservoir was formed by the damming of theEye Brook. It was built between 1937 and 1940 byStewarts & Lloyds) to supply water to their Corby steel works, now part of Tata Steel, formerly Corus. During theSecond World Warit was used in May 1943 as a practice site for the Dambusterraids, standing in for theMöhne Reservoir; a plaque commemorates this.

IMG_0646.jpg

IMG_0653.jpg

IMG_0654.jpg

IMG_0659.jpg

IMG_0698.jpg

IMG_0677.jpg

IMG_0697.jpg

the impending sense of doom...
IMG_0680.jpg

the outflow
IMG_0708.jpg

IMG_0656.jpg

the outflow carries on for some distance
IMG_0709.jpg

IMG_0722.jpg

And finally; The lake

IMG_0724.jpg

thanks for looking :)

BrainL

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Excuse my ignorance.. in pic 8 are they the vents from the reservoir? So can they be opened to let water out of the reservoir? Just the thought of that scares me never mind being there!! Great stuff guys! :)

The Wombat

Mr Wombat
28DL Full Member
Excuse my ignorance.. in pic 8 are they the vents from the reservoir? So can they be opened to let water out of the reservoir? Just the thought of that scares me never mind being there!! Great stuff guys! :)

That skyward photo is enough to make you cack your drawers, sod standing under it! Cracking picks too

Thanks guys :)
Yes we were standing at the level of the bottom of the lake... The vents are either controlled opening, or litrerally overspill from the lake. We looked up with for a while with a sense of awe, admiration, and dread.
The slightest trickle coming down there, and we would have made a rather rapid exit :eek:

JuJu

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
nice one wombat, will be putting my report up in a day or two. great explore lads. was awesome to get back out with the camera and see all of you. it's been too long!