real time web analytics
Report - - Flitcham Hall Pump House (Old & New), Norfolk - August 2024 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Flitcham Hall Pump House (Old & New), Norfolk - August 2024

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Introduction
Life has got in the way recently so I haven’t been doing much exploring this summer, so I haven’t been on full form. I’m hoping I will now have some more time to get some more bits done over the next few months. This was one of a couple of sites I checked out up in North Norfolk recently and was a pleasant surprise.

Information & History
The six-bedroom Flitcham Hall sits on the edge of the Sandringham Estate which is owned by the monarch. The hall has a private water supply which is extracted from a nearby stream which runs south of the village of Flitcham. There are two pumping installations here, one disused building and a larger building which is presumably still used.

The Explore
I parked within the village and started walking towards the pump house, I found this one on OS Maps and wasn’t sure what to expect as I could only find satellite imagery on the place. To my surprise, all the land was public access and the pump house itself was unlocked, which surprised me being near a public footpath.

Photos
The older, smaller setup sits within a dilapidated hut containing what looks to be a reciprocating pump powered by a small wooden water wheel.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

The modern setup consists of four electric pump and motor setups with their associated switchgear and pipes in a larger pre-fab style structure. I didn’t stay too long in here as the entrance to the pump house is in direct view of the hall, so the photos aren’t the best.

4.1.jpg

4.jpg

All pumps were identical and looked to be manufactured by French pump manufacturer Pompes Guinard. The electric motor closest to the entrance however looked different to the others.

6.jpg

7.jpg

I’m not sure of the status of the modern pump house, none of the pumps were running but some of the pipe fixtures look quite new, so perhaps it is used occasionally or used as a backup system.

8.jpg

9.jpg

The surrounding area was lovely, the sound of the water rushing downstream and the trees swaying in the wind made for quite a peaceful atmosphere.

10.jpg

11.jpg

All in all, a pleasant walk and an interesting explore (if you’re sad like me and you’re into pumps!)

Thanks for looking.

tigger

mog
Regular User
Sad? Nothing sad about this :)

The old waterwheel pump is an Easton & Amos setup and it used to be maintained even though long out of use.

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Sad? Nothing sad about this :)

The old waterwheel pump is an Easton & Amos setup and it used to be maintained even though long out of use.
Ah you know this one then? I wonder when they switched from the old to the new setup.

urbanchemist

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nice water wheel pump - of course the wheel is iron, not wood.

I've seen something like that pump before, double acting and driven from one end, but couldn't identify the maker - @tigger, if this is an Easton & Amos, do you have a picture?

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nice water wheel pump - of course the wheel is iron, not wood.

I've seen something like that pump before, double acting and driven from one end, but couldn't identify the maker - @tigger, if this is an Easton & Amos, do you have a picture?
Ahh my bad, nice to see either way.

Nice report that, like that flowing water shot! We need to get out at somepoint again :)
Cheers mate - I was thinking the same earlier too. Will have to arrange something soon!