real time web analytics
Report - - Holme Bank Chert Mine, Derbyshire - August 2024 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Holme Bank Chert Mine, Derbyshire - August 2024

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Abandoned-Sheffield

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This is a return visit for us, having been here a few times before in the past. It’s always a pleasure to take a look around Holme Bank Chert Mine and there is a lot to see here. We’re grateful to the landowner for their continued support in allowing access and encourage everyone to seek the proper permissions to visit here to ensure access for the future. You can see the access requirements here: Holme Bank Chert Mine access guide

Background:
Holme Bank was the last of two operational chert mines in Derbyshire the other being the Pretoria Mine, both at Bakewell. Chert is a form of fine-grained, flinty silica most commonly found in veins in the uppermost beds of a limestone sequence. Chert was worked into tools in prehistoric times, easily shaped by chipping off flakes to produce sharp edges. Early 19th-century extraction at Holme Bank was from quarries but commercial mining was in place by 1867, when the site was known as Bakewell Chert Mine. Later it was also referred to as Smith's Mine, after the owner. The workings consisted of an extensive system of passages with eight entrances. The mine closes its door for good between 1959-61. In recent years the few underground visitors to Holme Bank Mine have included cave divers, using the clear subterranean waters for training purposes.

IMG_7519.png

The explore:
We began our explore via the number 2 entrance and followed the passages to the north end of the mine. We spent sometime exploring the various offshoots and different routes around the mine. Our aim today was to visit the main attractions: the mine cart, winch and pump (where the cave divers depart from). At the north end we took a few detours around after losing our bearings with where we were on the map, but we were soon back on track after finding the ‘chain’ reference point. A steady walk back to the south end of the mine and we found the mine cart, choosing to stop here for our reward of some lunch. After getting some pics of the mine cart, we carried on forward to the winch and pump, before exiting through the number 1 entrance. Overall we spent around three hours in the underground workings exploring.

Moving on to the pictures:

IMG_7524.jpeg

IMG_7536.jpeg

IMG_7539.jpeg

IMG_7571.jpeg

IMG_7563.jpeg

IMG_7549.jpeg

IMG_7579.jpeg

IMG_7555.jpeg

IMG_7580.jpeg

IMG_7588.jpeg

IMG_7590.jpeg