real time web analytics
Report - - July 2024 | Daniel James Community school + Tirdeunaw Primary | Swansea | | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - July 2024 | Daniel James Community school + Tirdeunaw Primary | Swansea |

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Ryhs

Proud Welsh
28DL Full Member
Just a note, although different schools theyre on the same site and basically identical. So instead of writing 2 reports on each similar school I’d rather just write 1 big report on both as they share the same structure, site and layouts.

Description:
Daniel James community school was built to the designs of H. T. Wykes and opened in June 1959 under the name Mynydd Bach. The school was designed as an upper and lower school, inked by a main entrance hall and large and small halls. The two halls were separated by a sliding folding partition an were capable of being thrown into one to provide a large meeting area. The middle school was later added, and linked with the existing buildings. The school was constructed with a steel frame and castellated beams carrying the floor loads. Windows and quickly-erected wall cladding, therefore, replaced load-bearing walls. In addition to being functional, this system gave the feeling of lightness associated with contemporary designs. Reflecting the new education system propelled by the 1944 Butler Education Act, Mynyddbach School included 19 classrooms, 5 laboratories, 4 domestic science rooms, 2 needlework rooms, 2 craft rooms, 2 art rooms, 2 libraries, and 2 gymnasia, together with an admin section and medical inspection room. Playing fields were sited to the north and west sides of the building, adjoining the common. ( From Coflein )

History:
The school used to be an all girls school until it merged with nearby Penlan Comprehensive in 2001. The new school never really preformed well with students often having the worst gcse results in Swansea. The comprehensive school closed in 2012 due to bad grades and dwindling pupil numbers. But the primary school Tirdeunaw stayed open until 2021 when a new school was built on a different site. The site still lays vacant.
IMG_0087.jpeg

The Explore:
Entry was not a problem, the rooftops are fun to climb onto and we had a nice game of futsal in the gymnasium. Unfortunately @A-DOG did his hand in jumping from a window onto a roof.
Theres tons of glass laying about, more than at your usual spot for sure.
It seems the site is popular for nearby teens to come to smash the place up, since we last came theres much more graffiti than my last visit, and everything is practically smashed up.
As we were leaving 2 police cars and a van pulled up and we were caught red handed leaving so we could not really get ourselves out that situation.

Photos:
The Tirdeunaw Main Hall:
IMG_9995.jpeg

fe3e4cf7-ac13-4828-a3bb-01c66b6d4af5.jpeg

And a kitchen too, so it was a canteen and a main hall
IMG_0068.jpeg

Hallways Littered with Asbestos and Whatever other fun stuff that builders used in the 50’s :thumb
One of those trips you should definitely bring a mask for

One of the hallways Circa 2011
IMG_0089.png

IMG_9999.jpeg

IMG_0021.jpeg

The Pool Room
I remember when we discovered this room back last year it was basically untouched, there we still tons of tables and chairs and classroom equipment unlike the rest of the site. Unfortunately we saw that a window had been opened and smashed through and the pool room was ransacked, all the stuff a thrown into the not very clean pool water

Pool room circa 2011
IMG_0088.png

IMG_0034.jpeg

IMG_0036.jpeg

Anyone want to own up? :eek:
IMG_0035.jpeg

Dan James Main Hall
The much bigger and more impressive hall, with those climbing frames you never got to use in school!

just a note, A-dog did not write that graff. I know the person that did and it wasn’t A-dog!
IMG_0007.jpeg

IMG_0008.jpeg

I imagine it had more life and colour while it was active
IMG_0011.jpeg

The gymnasium
A Gymnasium that still had dodgeballs and badminton equipment
IMG_0032.jpeg

Science department
The science department was basically the only section that was not trashed, likely because the tables and equipment are stuck onto the floor
IMG_0048.jpeg

IMG_0047.jpeg

IMG_0054.jpeg

Other classrooms and side rooms we found all basically looked like this
480b2c0b-46f7-4703-9339-b3486a654e76.jpeg

7d5f95f9-656e-4c4c-914c-44cb0d6d123d.jpeg

a9e7f9c5-eb6b-4d8c-8080-f6e5f9121cc5.jpeg

The rooftops
Now the most fun part was clambering on the roofs of the place. It isn’t exactly hard to reach the right top of the building, but the main road and nearby football complex really hinder you getting a good look around
IMG_0005.jpeg

IMG_0019.jpeg

IMG_0079.jpeg

IMG_0080.jpeg

00ef8110-70ee-4230-ba14-80167ba300c9.jpeg

5d498d95-9c56-4156-9d14-f93e4e451172.jpeg

@A-DOG jumping from a window onto another rooftop
ddd122b9-1252-4d94-831b-204bff266e77.jpeg

He cut his hand pretty bad after landing on some glass, and another mate cut his hand slipping on a bunch of square glass. Common sense but be careful!
Not sure on the views here about posting injuries and that stuff here so I won’t go posting any images of those

That’s the report, @RealBBNC made one about it last year but I think it needed a re-do with more knowledge on photography and urbex etiquette :hmm

Ryhs
BBNC

IMG_0066.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ryhs

Proud Welsh
28DL Full Member
So instead of writing 2 reports on each similar school I’d rather just write
I did finish this sentence, seems like it didn’t update.

So instead of writing 2 reports on each similar school I’d rather just write 1 big report on both as they share the same structure, site and layouts.

Also can’t remember actually inserting the pic of the hand, I mustve missed it at the bottom of the screen while editing.

Explore With Alex

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice report and tell your friend he should buy some good gloves as if he wants to do parkour like that his hands will be protected from glass