real time web analytics
Report - - Manselton Primary School | Swansea | September 2024 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Manselton Primary School | Swansea | September 2024

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Ryhs

Proud Welsh
28DL Full Member
Been waiting to write a report on this place for months
Also noticed a lot of my reports are schools and churches, bare with me, it’s all we have in south wales (Maybe a few asylums here and there) :thumb

Description:
Built as an elementary board school in 1900-02 by J. and F. Weaver (Manselton) in Pennant sandstone to the Jacobethan (or 'Scottish baronial') designs of G. E. T. Laurence. Open U-plan form to symmetrical south front with advanced entrance/stairtower wings of five storeys. Three storey main building and attics. Eight bays to centre. Snecked rubble facings. Bullnosed quoins with incised angles. Freestone dressings. Tiled roofs. Manselton Primary School closed in 2012 after 27 years, merging with nearby Cwmbwrla Primary to form Burlais Primary School.

Situated on the site of former colliery workings, the school was formally opened on Wednesday 22 January 1902 and could accommodate 1,249 children in three departments; the infants on the grouns floor, the girls departments on the first floor, and the boys department on the second floor. Each department had a central hall with two entrances, and cloak rooms and teachers' rooms adjoining. Separate playground, sheds, and offices were provided for the boys and for the girls and infants.

Manselton Primary School, which later occupied the building, closed in 2012.
(Sourced from Coflein)

Cwmbwrla has since been turned into housing, there were plans for Manselton too but they never went through.

The explore:
While entering, My shoes decided they did not want to grip onto the wall, causing me to fall a good few feet a good few times. Which not only hurt my legs but hurt my ego as I’ve always though myself a capable climber, i suppose not :confused
Alot of birds and flies but we will get to that in this report :lol

Photos:
The outside of the building
You used to be able to climb onto the roof, but they took the scaffolding down.
IMG_0698.jpeg

IMG_0697.jpeg

IMG_0696.jpeg

We’re in
IMG_0668.jpeg

The 2nd floor hall
IMG_0670.jpeg

IMG_0671.jpeg

IMG_0673.jpeg

The top floor hall.. So many birds. They fly in and cant find their way out. So they just shit and die in this hall. Some live ones even had maggots eating at them. Yuck.
IMG_0674.jpeg

IMG_0676.jpeg

IMG_0682.jpeg

IMG_0687.jpeg

IMG_0688.jpeg

The basement
IMG_0693.jpeg

This part stunk especially
IMG_0689.jpeg

A stage
IMG_0690.jpeg

IMG_0694.jpeg

Some views of outside
IMG_0677.jpeg

IMG_0672.jpeg

And incase you forgot where we were we found this :thumb
E895D56D-80D6-4D9F-92D0-78095E5D748D.jpeg

This place was just sad with all the birds. We did try opening some windows but they wouldn’t budge. And alot of bird shit on the floor, where else are they gonna shit?

If you could tell us how you feel about this report (Thanks @A-DOG for casting a shadow with his samsung)
IMG_0691.jpeg

BBNC
Ryhs

IMG_0684.jpeg

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Love the old Parquet flooring. Some nice features. Shame its in this state.

RealBBNC

Fence lover
28DL Full Member
I love the working piano personally, I'm sure if anyone else was in there when we first went, they would be confused by the Minecraft menu theme playing, good report too!

Ryhs

Proud Welsh
28DL Full Member
I love the working piano personally, I'm sure if anyone else was in there when we first went, they would be confused by the Minecraft menu theme playing, good report too!
Someone broke the piano since, It was tipped over on the floor