real time web analytics
Lead or Rumour info - - Plymouth Telephone Exchange | Leads, Rumours and News... | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Lead or Rumour info - Plymouth Telephone Exchange

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

The Unveiled Brothers

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Walked around a place that I've never seen a part of my local area and found a giant office complex with structures rotting with some windows having metal gratings under it and the front door looked decayed, with a warning of cameras and alarms. Could be potential but don't see any information of it being open or shut or any info of it in general

Exploring with Andy

Behind Closed Doors
Staff member
It's tricky with telephone exchanges as they are often neglected on the exterior. With the progression of automation and miniaturisation of technology much less of the old buildings are now required, however you'll often find that despite looking abandoned and having many disused areas, some areas of the building are still in use as part of the telephone and broadband infrastructure. They are always kept pretty secure while still in use. Don't let the look of the place fool you, if you believe it to be a telephone exchange be sure it's abandoned before trying to access it.

Last edited:

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
Standard for most large 1950s era telephone exchange buildings nowadays, they all kind of look like that despite many still being in use in a small part.

Landie_Man

"Landie" or Harry
Regular User
The Aylesbury one has looked derp for as long as I can remember. But its defo still in use

princethorpe

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
BT/Openreach Have operated a bare minimum maintenance policy for quite a few years now. Hence they look abandoned. With new technology only small areas in many buildings are in use. Greater reliability many are often unvisited for long periods. I'm sure as further centralisation occurs many will get sold. Always used to be looks for the big ugly building when trying to locate one now the big ugly eyesore.