real time web analytics
Report - - RAF Bylaugh Hall, 35mm..Norfolk, July 2024 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - RAF Bylaugh Hall, 35mm..Norfolk, July 2024

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Mikeymutt

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I have visited here quite a few times over the last eight years as fairly close to me. It’s prob my favourite original, none expansion World War Two site. It’s spead over a fair size of site with huts dotted about being taken over by nature. The remains of the huts vary with some crumbling ruins and others like the social club still reasonably intact with a bar area, fireplaces and toilets. The site is spread into several sections with the WAAF huts, the male huts, toilet blocks, shower blocks. Several big halls exist what were the social club for the junior ranks. Then the other side nearer the hall has several hall for the officers. Several blast shelters exist still and a brick water tower. Attge other side of the hall a large water tower exists made of metal, I did not get time to visit that. I wanted to get some shots on film, so took my Olympus trip with Ilford black and white 400, and my Pentax ME Super with Kodak gold 400. I did take a handful of shots on the wide angle and a load on the vintage lenses On my digital.

The hall was taken over by the MOD at the outbreak of the war and the adjoining land. Many halls were taken over during the war, the hall laid derelict for a long while and is now slowly being restored. Thehall was used for the hq of RAF 2 group command, which later became home to RAF 100 bomber support who also worked on radar jamming. It was first used to house aircrew from RAF swanton morley, their was a small grass airstrip for light planes to come in. The majority of the huts were hidden in the trees to avoid being detected by the enemy. The place would have been very top secret during the war and president Eisenhower visited the base at the end of the war to pay praise in their efforts for the help in the D day operations. Their was close to one hundred huts here and about half remain here today. For some reason no one has really visited this place, and can't find any reports on here. It's prob the largest collection of huts I have seen.

IMG_6305.jpeg

IMG_6303.jpeg

IMG_6320.jpeg

IMG_6294.jpeg

IMG_6557.jpeg

IMG_6307.jpeg

IMG_6298.jpeg

IMG_6534.jpeg

IMG_6559.jpeg

IMG_6311.jpeg

IMG_6316.jpeg

IMG_6325.jpeg

IMG_6313.jpeg

IMG_6312.jpeg

IMG_6538.jpeg

IMG_6545.jpeg

IMG_6314.jpeg

IMG_6315.jpeg

IMG_6299.jpeg

IMG_6297.jpeg

IMG_6293.jpeg

IMG_6295.jpeg

IMG_6319.jpeg

IMG_6326.jpeg

IMG_6308.jpeg

IMG_6291.jpeg

IMG_6569.jpeg

IMG_6552.jpeg

IMG_6550.jpeg

IMG_6547.jpeg

Mikeymutt

28DL Regular User
Regular User
They came out fantastic mate. It is such a nice peaceful wander this one and it looks great on film.
Cheers mate, quite pleased with them. It’s peaceful at times, not so peaceful near the building that backs on to the houses, with vans going in ha ha. As peaceful as it seems they don’t like people there. Someone got chased looking at the hall years ago by someone with a gun in their hands.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Cheers mate, quite pleased with them. It’s peaceful at times, not so peaceful near the building that backs on to the houses, with vans going in ha ha. As peaceful as it seems they don’t like people there. Someone got chased looking at the hall years ago by someone with a gun in their hands.
And I was going to say, Id like to check this one out :oo as it looked peaceful and I bet it bustles with wildlife at night. Me thinks not now.
Any way, those huts look so good on film. Fireplaces and toilets seem to stick around forever ;)

Mikeymutt

28DL Regular User
Regular User
And I was going to say, Id like to check this one out :oo as it looked peaceful and I bet it bustles with wildlife at night. Me thinks not now.
Any way, those huts look so good on film. Fireplaces and toilets seem to stick around forever ;)
It's not that bad. I have been six times with no issues. But you are near a few houses in private grounds, so not a relaxed wander in the woods without a care. This is the comment I read years ago. Might be just made up, but I do know someone personally who had hassle near the hall years ago. But it's restored now and in use.
Thank you, I was pleased with the film shots. The toilets just stay unless smashed. Porcelain is everlasting ha ha.

View attachment 1000012785.jpg

For some reason images can't be posted and click on the media picker it's just loading attachment.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
It's not that bad. I have been six times with no issues. But you are near a few houses in private grounds, so not a relaxed wander in the woods without a care. This is the comment I read years ago. Might be just made up, but I do know someone personally who had hassle near the hall years ago. But it's restored now and in use.
Thank you, I was pleased with the film shots. The toilets just stay unless smashed. Porcelain is everlasting ha ha.

View attachment 1000012785.jpg

For some reason images can't be posted and click on the media picker it's just loading attachment.
Ah so maybe the caravan and Billy big bullocks was a hired muscle to stop more damage to the hall, as you say it was 10 years ago.