real time web analytics
Report - - Sandstone Caves of Nottingham ‘Urbex Edition' #2 - Summer 2024 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Sandstone Caves of Nottingham ‘Urbex Edition' #2 - Summer 2024

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

MotionlessMike

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Sandstone Caves of Nottingham ‘Urbex Edition #2’ - Summer 2024

Following on from my previous thread from early 2022 (here), here’s the next instalment from beneath the streets of Nottingham.

Willoughby House Caves

‘Finest of all the private cellar caves is the group beneath the garden of Willoughby House on Low Pavement. Cut when the house was built in 1738-41, there are three circular caves, of which the largest is 7.6 metres in diameter. Each has an elegant central column with a table cut in the rock; the largest cave has a perimeter thrall and the smaller have brick wine bins’.

Wanted to see this one for a while and it took me ages to work out how to do it. It was pretty simple though as it turns out, idk why it took me so long to realise it.

WH (2).jpg

WH (7).jpg

WH (6).jpg

WH (4).jpg

WH (1).jpg

WH (5).jpg

WH (3).jpg

Gawthorne House / Vault Hall Caves

A set of caves which run under ‘Gawthorne House’ - although this doesn’t appear a common name for the building, but that’s what it’s mapped as. This site was formerly occupied by Vault Hall until the current house was erected in the 1730s. Not really much about this one, presumably originally used as a storage space but it currently carries a modern utility pipe which has replaced an older ceramic one.

VH (2).jpg

VH (4).jpg

VH (1).jpg

VH (5).jpg

Drury Hill Western Caves

Drury Hill caves are a large network of caves consisting of a tannery, public house cellars and air raid shelters which existed along a cliff face next to a medieval street of the same name. With the development of the Broadmarsh Shopping Centre in the 60s, the street was cleared and the opening up of the caves lead to vandalism and threat of them being infilled with concrete. This caused a bit of a public outcry, which eventually lead to the caves being saved and public tours beginning in the late 70s. The caves have been a big tourist attraction for years now and are advertised as the City of Caves.

The western caves are locked off from the tourist attraction, with no public access. Or if you look hard enough…

DH (4).jpg

DH (3).jpg

DH (1).jpg

It’s thought that the below cave with its cobbled floor was once a dairy or a stable

DH (2).jpg

DH (5).jpg

An old Ind Coope bottle and a WW2 gas mask for infants

DH (6).jpg

A couple of bonus caves to end on, both formerly serving as basements.

The first is a sub-basement level in a derelict pub called The Pelham in the New Basford area. Note the modern steel supports.

P (2).jpg

P (1).jpg

The second was below a festering, derelict Chinese restaurant along Canning Circus. This building was at one time a funeral parlour - apparently the bodies were kept down here... What you waiting for East Midlands paranormal gooners?!

DD (3).jpg

DD (2).jpg

DD (1).jpg

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User
Really interesting. Did the City of Caves tour at the end of last year and of course you wonder what more is out there, so nice to see it

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User
Shamefully, I've never actually been! Did you get to roam around at your own pace or was their a man ushering you about?
It was a bit crap but worth seeing those sections still. There was a lady taking us round who kept making fairly unfunny anachronistic history jokes. I wasn't entirely sober whilst doing so so maybe that took the edge off :rofl