real time web analytics
Report - - The Wesley Hartlepool Cleveland April 2019 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The Wesley Hartlepool Cleveland April 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

MarkusCP87

Undiscovered locations in the UK
28DL Full Member
One of the first hometown I explored, also one of the many nightclubs left derelict in the town.
The building itself was a shell, despite having a fire in 2017 it was still in somewhat decent condition, this building was certainly built to last.
It certainly is a beautiful looking building from the outside.
Unfortunately at the time I was only using my phone, so not the best quality unfortunately.

A bit of history on the building.

Built in the early 1870s the Wesley Chapel presents an elegant classical stone portico onto a busy road junction in the heart of Hartlepool. It remains an impressive building - despite its many broken windows and the forecourt's new use as a car park.

The owner, Jomast Developments Ltd, was granted permission to convert the former Chapel, previously used as a night club and leisure club, into a 49 bed hotel in 2009 but no work was carried out. A new permission was granted in 2013 but despite pressure from the council, only minimal remedial work to discharge consent conditions seems to have been carried out. Currently the site appears to be entirely inactive.

If a substantive start is not made on the consented works by November 2015, then another consent will lapse. Jomast should fulfil its stated intention of investing in this prominent listed Hartlepool landmark rather than leaving it to decay further.

Thanks for looking.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
The inside is completely out of character with the outside. I would never of thought this would be used as a nightclub. Looks like it should be a library or museum. Thanks for sharing this though. I would have to look too.:thumb

The last line " If a substantive start is not made on the consented works by November 2015, then another consent will lapse. " So Im guessing its taken 4 years to put some new beams in lol.

MarkusCP87

Undiscovered locations in the UK
28DL Full Member
The inside is completely out of character with the outside. I would never of thought this would be used as a nightclub. Looks like it should be a library or museum. Thanks for sharing this though. I would have to look too.:thumb

The last line " If a substantive start is not made on the consented works by November 2015, then another consent will lapse. " So Im guessing its taken 4 years to put some new beams in lol.
Apparently it's now going to be turned into flats or summit, there is always summit.
It's a stunning building and right in the center of my town, so needs saving.

Sapper2116

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
you would of thought the local council would of applied for funds from the government and saved this building rather than selling it off. it could of been used for a variety of educational purposes or even used as council offices. library. local history museum

PEUK

@teampeuk
28DL Full Member
The bottom image intrigues me. I've got into the ''Mud Flood'' theory over the past 2 years and this building fits that particular bill. Is this image taken from the ground floor now? (the one that you have to walk ''up'' the stairs to.) You can clearly see the original ground floor windows peeking up from below the floor you're standing on, could you get down to the floor below were the bottom of those windows are? Is the ground outside half-way up those particular windows giving the building that sunk look?
Cheers!

Who has read this thread (Total: 219) View details