real time web analytics
Report - - Tilbury powerstation, Essex - July 2016 | UK Power Stations | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Tilbury powerstation, Essex - July 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Maniac

rebmeM LD82
Regular User
This place has been a bit of a nemesis of mine for the last few months. I work practically opposite it and quite often sit eating my lunch on the river front staring across at it. I had been meaning to go take a look at it for quite some time having seen others photos and around June, myself @The_Raw and @extreme_ironing decided to take a look on the way back from somewhere else. Alas it wasn't to be that night and we walked away.

Fast forward a few weeks, and myself and extreme_ironing came up with a plan, alas one major flaw in our plan, we forgot to check the tides and walked away without getting in.

Fast forward another few weeks and with a little help from @Dmax a third attempt saw us at a locked door with seemingly no other way on site - little did we know at the time there was a gaping great big hole at the end of the building we could literally have walked in.

And finally on our 4th attempt, success. It was a long time coming. Explored with extreme_ironing and Till

IMG_8586_zpspnnocnku.jpg

IMG_8591_zps1hgs7d0q.jpg

We decided to head straight to the control room and then work from there. Even thou we knew where to look, it took us a few minutes to find the right staircase to get to it. The control room here had been modernised, but still had a bit of an old skool feel to it despite all the modern computer displays. Alas it was completely powered down now and the only light came from the end of the room which made it a bit awkward to photograph.

IMG_8601_zps6ujjrsyh.jpg

IMG_8594_zpsb6kewf42.jpg

IMG_8598_zpsyyhfrc3k.jpg

IMG_8600_zpsdw2szxf2.jpg

Then onto the turbine hall. There were 4 generating sets at Tilbury, but one of them looks to have been stripped down prior to closure. It was quite cool to see the turbine blades and the internals of the turbine all on display. It had clearly been like this for quite some time.
IMG_8637_zps753exaud.jpg

IMG_8617_zpsjwzsxgrt.jpg

IMG_8636_zpsdo0xjtcy.jpg

IMG_8640_zpsdnclxfyw.jpg

IMG_8645_zpsenolxywm.jpg

Yes I really liked the stripped down turbine!

IMG_8663_zpss5wj8yqp.jpg

IMG_8667_zps67fwnkdl.jpg

IMG_8659_zps2htp3isz.jpg

IMG_8652_zpsfxwg8khl.jpg

Overhead shot of the whole turbine hall.
IMG_8680_zps511lowq8.jpg

Coal loading floor where coal is fed to the boilers.
IMG_8706_zpswcbbvzmq.jpg

Boilers
IMG_8688_zpswzgmabh3.jpg

IMG_8655_zpstjezxrol.jpg

The insides of one of the generators, this is what actually makes the electricity.
IMG_8700_zps6bj8er9s.jpg

Towards the end of our visit, we decided get a bit more bold and see what lay in some of the other buildings. At one end of the station there was a largeish building that looked interesting. It turned out to be the water pumping and filtering plant. This was necessary at a station like this because the water used came directly out of the Thames.

It was filtered on its way in by 4 of these colossal rotary filters.
IMG_8720_zpsjocq1fhy.jpg

IMG_8725_zpsjmkyai09.jpg

IMG_8723_zpsrgk8m7nl.jpg

Inside the pumping station
IMG_8718_zpsy1zkzbrt.jpg

IMG_8712_zps2aeuzijr.jpg

And that was it. All in all we spend a whole day here and it was a day well spent.
default_smile.png

IMG_8730_zpsazk2z3ct.jpg

IMG_8710_zpsrmbo2dsq.jpg

The exit was pure comedy, ask me sometime and I'll tell you the full story, it's too much to write here. Needless to say I got very wet.

Thanks for looking!

Maniac.

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
Nice. I like the photos from the pump house. Was that the building that looked like it had served A station too?

Maniac

rebmeM LD82
Regular User
Nice. I like the photos from the pump house. Was that the building that looked like it had served A station too?

I don't think so, it was a similar styled building to the main powerstation and literally right next to it at one end.

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
Ahh. Yeh. There was another one right on the corner of the site. Same style as the A station.