real time web analytics
Report - - Whitsand Bay Hotel, Portwrinkle, Cornwall | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Whitsand Bay Hotel, Portwrinkle, Cornwall

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Terminal Decline

28DL Regular User
Regular User
History
The building was originally constructed in 1871 at Thanckes Park, Torpoint, located six miles from its present site at Portwrinkle, by the third Baron Graves. The house replaced the historic family mansion dating back to the reign of Richard the 3rd, known as Thanckes House. In 1909, Thanckes house was pulled down and reconstructed stone by stone, though slightly enlarged, opening as the Whitsand Bay Hotel in July 1910. The building is constructed of local dressed limestone in the Tudor gothic style with commanding views, eastward to Rame Head and westward to the Lizard. The fine stained-glass window over the stairway, said to be one of the finest in the West Country, incorporates eagles, featured on the Graves Arms and a line of galleons in full sail.
The 32-bedroom hotel closed at the end of 2018, following a “significant downturn in trade” in recent years. Earlier in the year plans were submitted to transform the building into 18 apartments.

1574786211510.png

The building at its original site at Thanckes Park, Torpoint

The explore
Finally got around to visiting in October with prettyvacant. Although most of the furniture had already been sold, there was still a lot to see, with some fantastic original features remaining. While wandering around we came across the ’penthouse’ which is still lived in by the looks of it, with recent school letters on the coffee table and laundry handing up. After seeing this I didn’t want to stay too long in case the inhabitants returned. There was even a hoverboard recharging in an office, but we managed to resist the temptation to take it for a spin in the hallway!

_DSC2385 3.jpg

The building today, seen from the coast path

_DSC2387 3.jpg

_DSC2306 3.jpg

The hallway, looking towards the entrance

_DSC2320 3.jpg

Entrance hall

_DSC2375 3.jpg

Fireplace detail

_DSC2322 3.jpg

The main staircase and reception

_DSC2339 3.jpg

_DSC2377 3.jpg

The fantastic stained-glass window

_DSC2378 3.jpg

Detail of the staircase window

_DSC2315 3.jpg

_DSC2363 3.jpg

The bar

_DSC2328 3.jpg

The dining room

_DSC2327 3.jpg

View from the dining room

_DSC2330 3.jpg

Kitchen

_DSC2370 3.jpg

_DSC2373 3.jpg

_DSC2351 3.jpg

_DSC2332 3.jpg

Some of the bedrooms were still well furnished

_DSC2346 3.jpg

The view from the top of the tower

_DSC2362 3.jpg

The lived-bit, I didn't stay here long!

Thanks for looking

Terminal Decline

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nice! But...

What the fuck is wrong with you?
Trust me, it took more self control then is needed to work in a bubble wrap factory but the only conceivable outcome was the family returning home to find me, completely out of control and sailing through the final remaining intact window

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
What a stunning building, that stained glass over the stairs is something very special, could be the finest in the West country! Everything finished to a high standard. Wow an explore. !!