real time web analytics
Report - - Ballochmyle Creamery, Mauchline..Scotland, July 2024 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Ballochmyle Creamery, Mauchline..Scotland, July 2024

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Mikeymutt

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I had a day free whilst on the way too Scotland as the other half was working. I had a couple of sires I wanted to check out, this being one of them. I have known about it after stumbling on it several years back, but never got around to visiting it. It was one of them places that I was taking a chance on. It was up for sale in 2022, so no idea if work had been started on if it had been sold. The only pics I had seen was from some obscure Glasgow I am surprised it ain’t been reported on here before unless I missed it. The only pics I had seen was from some obscure Glasgow forum from 2010, and a lot can happen in fourteen years in the life of a derelict building. So I took the long drive from the first place I done early in the morning to drive past the main drive and was happy to see it was still standing. So I took the route I had worked out a few weeks before and after some fumbling I was inside. It’s one of them places you don’t have high expectations about, it’s an empty shell. But once inside and seeing the lovely brickwork and arched windows and lovely character of the place I kind of fell in love with the place. Walking around it had that mill feeling about it. It was only when I read later that I discovered it was a former lint mill, this explained that feeling. It’s not the biggest of buildings, and the top floor I could not see as the steps had finally give way. My favourite bit was the stream had been diverted through the middle of the building and goes underneath part of it. A bridge had been built over the stream and incorporated the building. A thoroughly enjoyable explore and was glad I took a punt, this building is a really old one and been laying derelict for over thirty years.

The former lint mill was purchased in 1890 to be converted into a creamery and a margarine factory, the mill ironically stands on the site of an original creamery. The factory was expanded in the early 20th century.This factory was at the forefront of margarine development, and was used in puff pastry. The creamery manufactured Seafoam margarine, which was claimed to be the first margarine to use vegetable rather than animal fats. The factory was sold to a larger company called Jorgens, which would eventually go on to be Unilever. Margarine was continued to be produced here till after the war. After the closure of the creamery it continued as a spectacle factory till closure in 1987. Th managers house right opposite is now a residential property. It’s been up for sale several times with permission to convert to flats, but nothing has materialised yet.

An old image of the creamery. Loved the manicured gardens and the lovely greenhouse and potting shed. Surprisingly it still stands untouched and what we start with.

IMG_5900.jpeg

IMG_5553.jpeg

IMG_5552.jpeg

IMG_5554.jpeg

IMG_5556.jpeg

IMG_5557.jpeg

IMG_5558.jpeg

IMG_5559.jpeg

IMG_5560.jpeg

IMG_5561.jpeg

IMG_5563.jpeg

IMG_5565.jpeg

IMG_5566.jpeg

IMG_5568.jpeg

IMG_5569.jpeg

IMG_5570.jpeg

IMG_5571.jpeg

IMG_5573.jpeg

IMG_5574.jpeg

IMG_5575.jpeg

IMG_5578.jpeg

IMG_5579.jpeg

IMG_5581.jpeg

IMG_5582.jpeg

IMG_5583.jpeg

IMG_5584.jpeg

IMG_5586.jpeg

IMG_5587.jpeg

IMG_5592.jpeg

IMG_5589.jpeg

Cricket 1962

28DL Member
28DL Member
I had a day free whilst on the way too Scotland as the other half was working. I had a couple of sires I wanted to check out, this being one of them. I have known about it after stumbling on it several years back, but never got around to visiting it. It was one of them places that I was taking a chance on. It was up for sale in 2022, so no idea if work had been started on if it had been sold. The only pics I had seen was from some obscure Glasgow I am surprised it ain’t been reported on here before unless I missed it. The only pics I had seen was from some obscure Glasgow forum from 2010, and a lot can happen in fourteen years in the life of a derelict building. So I took the long drive from the first place I done early in the morning to drive past the main drive and was happy to see it was still standing. So I took the route I had worked out a few weeks before and after some fumbling I was inside. It’s one of them places you don’t have high expectations about, it’s an empty shell. But once inside and seeing the lovely brickwork and arched windows and lovely character of the place I kind of fell in love with the place. Walking around it had that mill feeling about it. It was only when I read later that I discovered it was a former lint mill, this explained that feeling. It’s not the biggest of buildings, and the top floor I could not see as the steps had finally give way. My favourite bit was the stream had been diverted through the middle of the building and goes underneath part of it. A bridge had been built over the stream and incorporated the building. A thoroughly enjoyable explore and was glad I took a punt, this building is a really old one and been laying derelict for over thirty years.

The former lint mill was purchased in 1890 to be converted into a creamery and a margarine factory, the mill ironically stands on the site of an original creamery. The factory was expanded in the early 20th century.This factory was at the forefront of margarine development, and was used in puff pastry. The creamery manufactured Seafoam margarine, which was claimed to be the first margarine to use vegetable rather than animal fats. The factory was sold to a larger company called Jorgens, which would eventually go on to be Unilever. Margarine was continued to be produced here till after the war. After the closure of the creamery it continued as a spectacle factory till closure in 1987. Th managers house right opposite is now a residential property. It’s been up for sale several times with permission to convert to flats, but nothing has materialised yet.

An old image of the creamery. Loved the manicured gardens and the lovely greenhouse and potting shed. Surprisingly it still stands untouched and what we start with.

IMG_5900.jpeg

IMG_5553.jpeg

IMG_5552.jpeg

IMG_5554.jpeg

IMG_5556.jpeg

IMG_5557.jpeg

IMG_5558.jpeg

IMG_5559.jpeg

IMG_5560.jpeg

IMG_5561.jpeg

IMG_5563.jpeg

IMG_5565.jpeg

IMG_5566.jpeg

IMG_5568.jpeg

IMG_5569.jpeg

IMG_5570.jpeg

IMG_5571.jpeg

IMG_5573.jpeg

IMG_5574.jpeg

IMG_5575.jpeg

IMG_5578.jpeg

IMG_5579.jpeg

IMG_5581.jpeg

IMG_5582.jpeg

IMG_5583.jpeg

IMG_5584.jpeg

IMG_5586.jpeg

IMG_5587.jpeg

IMG_5592.jpeg

IMG_5589.jpeg
Great photos I worked here 1979 until 1986 when it was M .Wiseman’s optical works or known locally as the Plastic factory who made spectacle frames and lenses .great memories of the place was a good place to work .

Mikeymutt

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Great photos I worked here 1979 until 1986 when it was M .Wiseman’s optical works or known locally as the Plastic factory who made spectacle frames and lenses .great memories of the place was a good place to work .
Thank. Aw it's always great to hear from people who have worked in places that I visit. Normally it's big well known places, so great to hear from a smaller establishment. Bet it looks a bit different now, but sure you can still picture it all.

Cricket 1962

28DL Member
28DL Member
Thank. Aw it's always great to hear from people who have worked in places that I visit. Normally it's big well known places, so great to hear from a smaller establishment. Bet it looks a bit different now, but sure you can still picture it all.
Live in Mauchline so I’ve seen the place detioorate over the years shame what’s happened to the building i used to go in but it’s getting harder with nature taking over .