real time web analytics
Report - - Balneario de Azuaje, Gran Canaria – April 2023 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Balneario de Azuaje, Gran Canaria – April 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Sewage_waste

28DL Member
28DL Member
History

The thermal waters of the area, known as the Fuente Santa, had been renowned for their medicinal properties long before the construction of the hotel. In 1868, the Hotel Balneario de Azuaje was built to accommodate tourists seeking the health benefits of these waters. During this time, the Canary Islands were emerging as a health destination, particularly among British tourists who were drawn to the islands for their climate and volcanic waters, rich in minerals such as iron and hydrosulfides.

The hotel was part of a boom in spa tourism across Gran Canaria, which also included other spas like Los Berrazales and Santa Catalina. It featured three levels connected by cobblestone paths and stairs, and offered facilities such as a dining hall, a dance salon, and 16 guest rooms made of wood. The surrounding gardens and the nearby hermitage added to the site’s appeal. The hotel operated successfully until 1938, when the Spanish Civil War and subsequent economic challenges forced its closure.

Despite the hotel’s physical closure, locals continued using the “Fuente Santa” for its reputed healing properties until the mid-1950s. Unfortunately, in 1955, a significant flood swept through the ravine, destroying many of the structures and traditional bathing spots. Today, the site remains in a state of picturesque ruin, with its deteriorated buildings surrounded by lush vegetation in what is now the Azuaje Special Natural Reserve.

This ravine, marked by its stunning scenery and rich biodiversity, offers visitors a glimpse into the island’s natural beauty and the remnants of an era when health tourism flourished in the Canary Islands.

The explore

This was my first proper exploration and the one that truly hooked me into the world of urban exploration. Bored on holiday and scrolling through the web, I stumbled upon this location. The idea of an abandoned spa hidden within a lush ravine was too intriguing to pass up; I knew instantly that I had to see it for myself.

The drive to the site was an adventure in itself, winding through steep mountain roads with sharp bends at every turn. After a somewhat precarious roadside parking job, we set off on foot, eager to explore.

Access to the site was surprisingly easy. A short hike from the road brought us to the entrance, and with no security in sight, we had the freedom to explore at our leisure. As soon as we stepped inside, it was clear that nature had taken full control. Vines coiled around the columns, and trees had pushed their way through the floor tiles, giving the old spa a haunting yet almost majestic atmosphere.

Local graffiti artists had also made their mark, covering nearly every wall with spray paint. While most of the graffiti consisted of crude drawings, a few artists had left behind some genuinely impressive pieces, adding to the eerie beauty of the space.

The red terracotta tiles remained largely untouched, hinting at the building’s original elegance. Exploring further, following a small winding path behind the hotel, I was led to a small derelict shack at the top of the hotel buried perched on the cliffside. From this vantage point, we could see the entirety of the ancient facade of the hotel framed by lush vegetation and the dramatic cliffs of the ravine—forming a sight both equally haunting and stunning in its tranquility.

After descending, we left the ruins and made our way to the famous thermal waters, eager to experience their reputed healing properties, a fiting end to the exploration.

IMG_2876.jpeg

IMG_2984.jpeg

IMG_2855.jpeg

IMG_2881.jpeg

IMG_2860.jpeg

IMG_2862.jpeg

IMG_2883.jpeg

IMG_2856.jpeg

IMG_2857.jpeg

IMG_2925.jpeg

IMG_2931.jpeg

Last edited: