real time web analytics
Report - - Bradwell Springs Pumping Station, Essex - November 2023 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Bradwell Springs Pumping Station, Essex - November 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Introduction
Me and @Wastelandr recently met up to cover a couple of places in Essex, this one was initially seen as a bit of a filler location thinking it would be sealed or empty but to our surprise, it had some nice old equipment within, in addition to old paperwork amongst other nice little details. I have put this into NP for now as the access down the track is in direct view of a house and it is pretty much pristine with no vandalism and is an excellent example of its kind. If it was known about, I feel it would get tagged up and vandalised pretty quickly. It is one of the best examples of a pumping station I have seen to date.

Information & History
Bradwell Springs Pumping Station was constructed in 1928 and its purpose was to supply the nearby Silver End village. Silver End was a private model village that had a factory manufacturing metal windows, trading as the Crittall Manufacturing Company Ltd. Work started on the village in 1926 because Braintree, the town in which the main factory was located, couldn’t support the needs of the workforce. In the 1920s, more than half of Braintree’s population were Crittall workers. Silver End was entirely self-sufficient with its own public services such as shops, schools, and churches. Thanks to this pumping station, its entire water supply was also self-sufficient. Silver End is a very interesting place with several streets of Art Deco houses which are beautiful. The station was constructed near the River Blackwater at Bradwell Springs where there was a shallow well source. The source was thought out by Francis Henry Critall who funded the village.

In terms of the pumping equipment, the station originally housed two large diesel engines to power two large pumps. It was later upgraded with two large Harland Engineering centrifugal pumps rated at 30 B.H.P each. The pumps each have an electric motor connected to them with their own dedicated switchgear. The pumps themselves are dated 1947 but it is not known whether this was the time of the installation. The station was originally owned by the Silver End Development Company Limited until the site was taken over by the Witham U.D.C in July 1954. Later, it was owned by the Essex Water Company.

Below is a map dated between the 1970s/80s of all pumping stations and the trunk mains/pipelines that Essex Water Company owned at the time:

syeT38cc0u9dD1n8La07ayS-3WDCHrQR3DOr-V8pM79pXuaLWY.png

Essex Water was later acquired by Lyonnaise des Eaux in 1988 along with the Suffolk Water Company. These were later merged in the mid-nineties to become the Essex and Suffolk Water Company which still exists today.

Excess water that the station supplied was brought into the outskirts of Witham. Later on, complaints were received about leaking copper pipes caused by Bradwell Spring, this was resolved when the spring ceased use. It is thought the station stopped operating around 1970 judging by the paperwork, but it could well have been a bit later than this.

To the side of the station, there are two tanks dumped which initially looked to be steam boilers. This didn’t make sense as the station was only ever powered by oil engines and electric later on. The borehole scans mention a sand trap so these may have been sand filters. These would’ve filtered the sand and chlorinated the water making it safe to drink. This was an old way of filtering water and now new technologies such as UV treatment and flocculation are now more commonly used. Thanks to @mingerocket for the info on this and for providing the borehole record too.

The Explore
As mentioned at the beginning the access is via a track through a field where you are in direct view of a nearby house. Due to this, I tried going an alternative way first veering off from a nearby footpath and going alongside the river but unfortunately, it was completely flooded thanks to the recent rain we have had, so we had to go via the track. I saw the open door and walked in very excited, initially thinking it was empty and then seeing the equipment. I may have got a little too excited and think I scared Wastelandr a bit. The light was lovely coming through the windows to start with, but we started to lose light quickly as it was our last location of the day.

Photos
Getting externals was pretty difficult here thanks to the multitude of trees and vegetation, but I did the best I could to get a couple of overviews:

1.jpg

2.jpg

Heading inside, a lot of it is vast empty space as the old diesel engines and pumps would have taken up a lot of room hence the size of the building. I did really like the minimal industrial look, it gave me slight EU power station vibes. You can see newer concrete parts of the floor where the old pumps and/or engines used to be situated:

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Some close-ups of the pumps and motors:

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

Looks like the pumps were originally green and then later painted blue, not sure why they would bother in a place like this where the public would never see it anyway:

12.jpg

There were some snippets of old newspapers dating back to the 1970s:

13.jpg

One of the name plates for the pumps. Harland Engineering supplied a lot of these old stations with pumps and I’ve seen quite a few now:

14.jpg

The switchgear for the electric motors is encased in these cabinets located next to each other. These would have acted as a mains breaker and possibly level control gear so that the pumps wouldn’t run if the water levels were too low in the spring:

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

The station was equipped with an old telephone:

18.jpg

19.jpg

It even has its own toilet:

20.jpg

Near the entrance, there is a small room housing some wall-mounted equipment with chlorine gauges to ensure bacteria was killed off during the chlorination process.

21.jpg

22.jpg

I love these old industrial light fixtures. I did try the light switch just in case but no power runs here anymore, you’d be surprised by how many of these disused stations have some sort of power still running to them:

23.jpg

On the wall towards the other door, there was an old chart recorder with its paper still inside. The middle of the paper reads Essex Water Company and Bradwell Springs:

24.jpg

Various old paperwork in good condition can still be found here:

25.jpg

A few other shots:

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

And finally, the old sand filter tanks:

29.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User
You came up absolute trumps with this one! A rare win for Essex and just goes to show genuine discoveries can still be made with good old fashioned research alone. Excellently photographed too.

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
You came up absolute trumps with this one! A rare win for Essex and just goes to show genuine discoveries can still be made with good old fashioned research alone. Excellently photographed too.
Yeah it was certainly a great surprise wasn't it! Yeah wasting hours trawling through various maps is beginning to pay off.

That’s a great little place ain’t it. Really like that old phone. Great find and pics.
Cheers mate, the old phone was lovely. I love seeing old school features like that in these sorts of places, hopefully you can get down there soon to go and see it.

Wow that looks stunning actually! I like the old map of Essex water you found too.
Yeah you'd really enjoy this and is worth the trip for sure. The old map is great I've already started going through it find the other stations.

Wow, that's a belter.
Definetely one of the nicer examples!

That's a surprise of a find.
Definetely, I was so excited when I walked through the door haha

Nice. Local to me too
Definetely worth popping in if local

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Absolute cracker. What a fab find. Kudos to you. Reporting is top notch :thumb
Thanks Jane! I was really excited when I walked in. I managed to find a decent amount of info for this one in the end.

Brilliant stuff, 8 hour round trip for me though..🤔
Yeah that's not ideal is it. You wouldn't have much daylight either for other locations either unless you stayed down that way.

tigger

mog
Regular User
The old boilers were likely used for oil storage - a very common use by water companies. The rapid increase in large scale potable water distribution was timed quite well with an increase in the availablity of cheap boilers duringb the 1920s depression and then again post WW2