real time web analytics
Report - - Clarendon House Shelter,Ramsgate Kent..Jan 2013 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Clarendon House Shelter,Ramsgate Kent..Jan 2013

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
This is another of those so local I really have no excuse not to have made the effort to do this sooner. That being said there where a few obstacles in the way. That said with a nudge from Space Invader a plan was hatched and we cracked on!

Visited with SpaceInvader,Stealth,Obscurity and later joined by UrbanGinger..Thanks to Jayne for driving and keeping an eye out for us!

History
There really isn’t any written history on the place, no online documents plans or maps etc..so I have cobbled a bit of info together from what I know.

Schools of this age pretty much all had WW2 shelters underneath them mostly using the cut and cover method which you can see in the first lot of pictures but this one is different it is on two levels with the lower level being unlined chalk and probably dating back to use in WW1 ,and that’s as far as the info goes really, there are three capped off ground level entrances and a escape hatch which is welded shut & an entrance from the lower level up into the school which is obviously very secure !

On with some pics!!

DSC_0003.jpg
DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

Part of the old pump
DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

Escape hatch and stairs down into the WW1 part

DSC_0011.jpg
DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0023.jpg
DSC_0054.jpg

DSC_0044.jpg

DSC_0042.jpg

DSC_0033.jpg

DSC_0031.jpg

DSC_0055.jpg
DSC_0053.jpg

And a nice little face carved in chalk to finish

dSC_0061.jpg

All in all yes another school WW2 shelter but it’s been put on hold for so long I had almost forgot about it..

Last edited:

Who has read this thread (Total: 3) View details