real time web analytics
Report - - Coulsdon Deep Shelter, Coulsdon, Surrey - December 2013 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Coulsdon Deep Shelter, Coulsdon, Surrey - December 2013

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

sentinel

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Well Guy's PLEASE BE GENTLE...long time listener, first time caller

I am new to UE and such have taken some sound advice from some of you that replied to my earlier post, I am taking things slow.
Also I am new to photography so my shots look a bit crap, didn't help that my big torch crapped itself after a few shots. luckily I came prepared with a couple of head lamps

After spending some time choosing a place that had a little bit of difficulty locating and getting into, I decided on Coulsdon Deep Shelter.

It was a great feeling having to search through the internet (I'm inexperienced. some of you might be saying dude..that place is easy lol) to find this location and then the excitement when I was standing inside alone with my camera in my hand.

Any advice or comments will be greatly appreciated

Going through other people posts it seems to be the standard protocol to post a bit of a write up about the site.

This large public air raid shelter is one of four which were proposed and built by Surrey Council at the beginning of WW2, the others being at Epsom Downs, Ashley Road in Epsom and Kenley.
The plan was to build 3 parallel longitudinal tunnels into the chalk hillside with 4 parallel lateral tunnels linking them.
The plan was never fully carried out with two of the longitudinal tunnels stopping in a sheer white face of chalk.
After the war the shelter was mothballed and lay empty until a firm that made precision lenses for telescopes took them over. The constant temperature was ideal for the processes involved and the long tunnels perfect for testing the focus of the lenses. Sadly the dampness and coldness was not conducive for the electrical sockets and precision machinery so the ever-inventive workers reverse wired a fridge so it would act as a dehumidifier and keep the condensation levels down.
Eventually the optical firm moved out and was replaced by a motor vehicle repair workshop. After some time they also moved out and the shelter was mothballed and sealed shut again.

Entrance Signs
DSC_0214_zps63baee94.jpg

Entrance Signs
DSC_0215_zpsc173cd03.jpg

Entrance Signs
DSC_0218_zpsc6ea675b.jpg

Workshop
DSC_0179_zps1289bc43.gif

Random Car Parts
View attachment 572644

Bike Parts
View attachment 572645