real time web analytics
Report - - Earith Pumping Station (No. 1), Cambridgeshire - September 2023 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Earith Pumping Station (No. 1), Cambridgeshire - September 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Introduction
Originally reported by @JakeV50 last year, it is not the best condition station by any means, but it’s set up a bit differently compared to most I have visited.

Information & History
This Pumping Station appears to work alongside some other stations nearby which is evident from the control board in the main building which references 3 other sites in a numerical sequence. The location suggests that this Pumping Station may have been related to nearby gravel extraction operations.

The building itself consists of two rooms, one being a small storage room that I didn’t photograph and the other housing the main equipment and Well. The equipment includes two Grundfos water pumps used for dewatering the Well. Other equipment includes a couple of control panels, wooden furniture and various pipework some of which has been dismantled to an extent.

Old Borehole records refer to the site as ‘Cook’s Drove Pumping Station’ and a map on the record references the Ramsey & St. Ives Joint Water Board so it may well have been operated by them. The station was connected to the No. 2 building via a 4-inch main and a 6-inch main to a Well several hundred metres to the East.

Below is the map in full for anyone interested, with the No. 1 station poorly circled by myself. Someone with better knowledge could study this map to draw additional conclusions about the use and purpose of these interconnected stations.

5090VyhFi0iSmdQ85IVu7c0?key=9ljMygrOTH2wfrLuWvEpWg.png

Me and Jake are planning to revisit the area to see if any of the other stations are disused and have any equipment remaining, I’ll update this thread once we’ve tried them. I’ve been a bit slack on finding old pumping relics recently as life gets in the way!

The Explore
Nothing out of the ordinary to report here, we parked up in a local housing estate nearby and walked up to it. The door has been smashed in and there’s quite a bit of graffiti on the walls, probably as a result of the station being just off a public footpath.

Photos

IMG_5836.jpg

IMG_5738-HDR.jpg

The two Grundfos pumps:

IMG_5747-HDR.jpg

It appears the well may have had a couple of pumps fixated at the top but these have now been removed with just pipework remaining:

IMG_5753-HDR.jpg

I believe this pipe leading underground leads to the other pumping stations/wells in the area:

IMG_5750-HDR.jpg

Some close-up shots of the remaining control panels, electrical boxes etc:

IMG_5765-HDR.jpg

IMG_5777-HDR.jpg

The control unit below suggests that this station (No.1) was used as a central control centre for the other pump houses nearby, thus making it the primary pumping station:

IMG_5784.jpg

IMG_5774-HDR.jpg

This pump sticker confirms after pumps were present here in addition to the blue Grundfos units:

IMG_5768-HDR.jpg

IMG_5790.jpg

IMG_5803.jpg

And some nice natural decay on the ceiling to conclude:

IMG_5833.jpg

IMG_5830.jpg

Thanks for looking!

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Interested to go back and see the others, good find with that paperwork.
Yeah we will definitely check them out soon.

Nice, I enjoyed that!
Cheers!

I've just read that back...Fucking auto correct bollocks. That should have read "Excellent as always"
Haha I assumed you were supposed to say excellent, cheers mate.

Another great find guys. Lovely stuff
Thanks Jane!