real time web analytics
Report - - Greenside Mill-Skelmanthorpe-September-2022 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Greenside Mill-Skelmanthorpe-September-2022

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Shutterfilm35

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History

Greenside Mill was built around 1770 by William Marsden who's daughter married Richard Field who then traded there for a number of years until forming the partnership of Field & Bottrill in the 1880's.

Richard Field, born in 1804, took full control of the business, which he gradually changed from fancy weaving to shawl production a staunch Methodist, he was also involved in the running of the Old Town School and Sunday School. His son, Samuel, inherited the business and like his cousins, attended Sheffield Wesleyan College.

In 1861 he expanded the Greenside works and formed the company Field and Bottril in 1872, concentrating on pile fabric and astrakhan production, however, an import duty imposed by the United States government in 1889 badly affected the company. Samuel Field was a trustee and secretary for the Weslyan chapel and, when the building became dilapidated, helped erect a new one on the same site. Having no direct heir, he brought his nephew, Percy Richard Jackson, into the company and it was he who steered the company to safety, taking on a partner, Francis Child, in 1901 although the name Field and Bottrill was retained. In 1967, it was taken over by the Keighley company, Haggas.

Dawson Fabrics were the most recent and final business to occupy the mill. The mill finally closed for good in
February 2006.

Lovell recently secured planning consent to redevelop Greenside Mill, a former textile production site located between Huddersfield and Wakefield.

Explore
The explore was easy enough, found our entry point and were uninterrupted, the only problem I had was my torch died so had to use a home bargains special, that I kept as a spare.

Pictures
IMG_7853_Original.jpeg

IMG_7800_Original.jpeg

IMG_7799_Original.jpeg

IMG_7806_Original.jpeg

IMG_7814_Original.jpeg

IMG_7819_Original.jpeg

IMG_7827_Original.jpeg

IMG_7825_Original.jpeg

IMG_7823_Original.jpeg

IMG_7831_Original.jpeg

IMG_7832_Original.jpeg