real time web analytics
Report - - ICI Plant Protection Facility - Fernhurst - July 2024 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - ICI Plant Protection Facility - Fernhurst - July 2024

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Odin.

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The History
Plant Protection Limited moved to the estate of Sir Felix Schuster in 1945, establishing a research institute focused on pest and disease control in horticultural crops, with a significant orchard on the property. The site hosted international conferences in 1951 and 1956, and was visited by the Duke of Edinburgh in 1955. In 1958, the company became a subsidiary of Imperial Chemical Industries (ICI), which had its international headquarters at the site until the 1990s. The site saw the opening of a new international conference center by Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher in 1986 and became the base for ICI Public Health in 1989. Known for its advanced crop growing methods, the site won a Queen's Award for Technological Achievement in 1990. The site was taken over by Zeneca in 1994 and later by Syngenta, becoming the headquarters of Syngenta Europe Ltd. Syngenta vacated the site in December 2001, after which it fell into disuse and was vandalized. At its peak, the site employed around 700 people.

The Explore
Arriving to the area at around 4pm I headed straight towards the facility and did a preliminary loop of the site. Luckily no security and plenty of open entrances so I tried to enter from near the carpark but immediately as I approached the door I heard loud talking and music. I chose to find another entrance instead just in case, making my way up one of the many staircases I began the explore from the third floor and making my down. From what I saw everything of value or interest had been broken or stolen, regardless the vibe of the site was immaculate giving off post-apocalyptic with lovely overgrown courtyards and stripped buildings.

I explored the site over the next 3 hours taking extra care as the floor was quite unstable and there were definitely other groups at the site which I carefully avoided as I’d come alone and rather safe than sorry. Really wanted to make it to the roof but unfortunately didn’t figure out how until I’d already left the site. The basement was entirely flooded with holes in the first floor leading right down into it. As I was leaving I missed the only bus back but that allowed me to explore the site for an hour longer before I made my way back and I spotted some more people on the roof, pretty sure they were skating up there.

Overall really enjoyed it as my first explore and would definitely recommend it if you a haven’t already been before the site is completely destroyed.

- Odin

IMG_3774.jpeg

IMG_3767.jpeg

IMG_3805.jpeg

IMG_3788.jpeg

IMG_3792.jpeg

IMG_3800.jpeg

IMG_3779.jpeg

IMG_3794.jpeg

IMG_3784.jpeg

IMG_3791.jpeg

IMG_3781.jpeg