real time web analytics
Report - - Ironbridge A Power Station pump house, Shropshire - January 2012 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Ironbridge A Power Station pump house, Shropshire - January 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Adders

living in a cold world
Regular User
This place has been on my mind for quite a while now, I've talked about it with many people, and been meaning to get over to it for longer than I care to remember. Managed to get over there today whilst I'm back in the area for the week and see what exactly's there.

It's not especially a report, as it wasn't possible to get inside the main building itself, but at least I've more of an idea what's inside now. A broken window provided enough room to squeeze off some shots of the inside, but unfortunately not quite big enough for me to get through. Some of you could though for sure.

Construction of the first Ironbridge Power Station (later to become known as Ironbridge A Power Station) began in 1929, and the first phase was completed in 1932. The station officially opened on the 13 October 1932.

The full generating capacity of Ironbridge A was not realised until major expansions and the commissioning of extra boilers and generating sets had been completed in 1939. This gave the A Station a total generating output of 200 megawatts (MW).

As a result of the increasing demand for electricity after the World War II, it was decided by the Central Electricity Generating Board that a new, larger, 1000MW power station called Ironbridge B, was to be constructed alongside the A Station. The A station was partially closed on 27 October 1980, with the decommissioning of 100 MW of the station's generating capacity. The remainder of the station's capacity ceased generating electricity in 1981 and the station was demolished in 1983.

How the Power station looked in 1962, with Buildwas train station in the foreground. (Closed 1963)

1935708_42d2f55f.jpg

And the pumping station in relation to the original power station.

PS1.jpg

All fisheye again I'm afraid. I know it's not ideal but I've no choice at the minute.

The base of the building is a large grate with deep water reservoirs beneath. As you'll see from one of the later photos it's blocked up with a think layer of river scum from plants to silt and mud.

1.jpg

Rear of the building, facing the river.

2.jpg

3.jpg

I wasn't entirely sure what would be inside, but to be honest I was a bit disappointed to see how empty it was. Although without getting in and having a poke around I can't really comment on it.

The place is humming though, so it's still in use to some extent. The lights were on but it doesn't see much activity by the looks of it.

4.jpg

5.jpg

"C.W. Band screen - Gearbox 1" it says on the round plate of the large unit. With a host of valves and pipes around it.

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

The front of the building, facing Ironbridge B.

9.jpg

We spent most our time having a recce at the rest of the site, and needless to say 31st December 2015 cannot come soon enough.

10.jpg