real time web analytics
Report - - Mote park mine, Kent, April 24 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Mote park mine, Kent, April 24

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Doozer

Probably underground somewhere
Regular User
!!!!!! heads up I waited untill this mine was sealed to do this report !!!!!!!

History:

Large quarries existed around Maidstone and it is known to have been mined in at least three locations in the vicinity of Mote Park. These seem to have been underground extensions of surface quarries but the latter two sites have now been built upon.
The tunnels can be traced back to Henry V, who ordered more than 7,000 cannonballs to be made from ragstone mined under Maidstone, including Mote Park, to defend against the French in 1419.

As well as the labyrinth left over from quarrying that took place, there was once a tunnel from the mansion in the heart of the park, Mote House, to the adjacent kitchens.
survey of the mine
IMG_5419.gif

Explore:
Now this is the first mine I ever visited back in 2014 and what started my interest in underground exploration so I always pop down to the entrance from time to time to see if someone’s opened it and to my shock/delight someone had put some graft in to open it. So with my head buzzing with excitement I got on the phone to @richiemelon and my brother in law and within an hour we were in! I’d forgotten just how sketchy this place was and it’s gotten worse since my last visit, from the minute you get in there you feel uneasy as everywhere you look there’s some sort of prop holding up the ceiling! After getting some pics we didn’t even stop for a rest or chat it was straight back out grateful to make it out alive!
An old pic of the entrance
IMG_5461.jpeg

The entrance crawl

IMG_5353.jpeg

IMG_5354.jpeg

Immediately met with props
IMG_5355.jpeg

After this it starts to open up
IMG_5357.jpeg

More props
IMG_5362.jpeg

IMG_5361.jpeg

IMG_5360.jpeg

IMG_5375.jpeg

IMG_5379.jpeg

IMG_5404.jpeg

IMG_5405.jpeg

b685d5e0-62bd-448a-a3cb-1c33ed610214.jpeg

Nice gallery where you can see the layers of limestone
IMG_5366.jpeg

IMG_5389.jpeg

Some old graff
IMG_5393.jpeg

IMG_5392.jpeg

A few of the passageways
IMG_5368.jpeg

IMG_5369.jpeg

IMG_5372.jpeg

IMG_5382.jpeg

IMG_5384.jpeg

Some crawls
IMG_5364.jpeg

IMG_5371.jpeg

IMG_5360.jpeg

I did go back the next day with @Llama @Stumpy_UX and @James Cross but didn’t take no pics, thanks guys for travelling down for it, had a good evening with you’s 👍

HughieD

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Yup, looks scetcky with all those props. But always useful to have a decent survey.

Good work getting in there and getting it done.

Doozer

Regular User
Yup, looks scetcky with all those props. But always useful to have a decent survey.

Good work getting in there and getting it done.
Yeah I think that’ll be the last time I go there even if it does get opened up again, cheers mate 👍

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Fair play getting this done!!
Ive looked at the entrances and thought f... that. Id heard of quite a few collapses here and it seems extremely dangerous. So good to see inside though. 👍

Doozer

Regular User
Fair play getting this done!!
Ive looked at the entrances and thought f... that. Id heard of quite a few collapses here and it seems extremely dangerous. So good to see inside though. 👍
As this was my first time underground 10 years ago I didn’t realise how dangerous this mine was until you go to other places and see how stable they are lol. Cheers though Jane it was nice to see it again even if i was shitting it the whole time I was in there 🤣

Exploring With Pride 🌈

Exploring with pride in more ways than one
28DL Full Member
!!!!!! heads up I waited untill this mine was sealed to do this report !!!!!!!

History:

Large quarries existed around Maidstone and it is known to have been mined in at least three locations in the vicinity of Mote Park. These seem to have been underground extensions of surface quarries but the latter two sites have now been built upon.
The tunnels can be traced back to Henry V, who ordered more than 7,000 cannonballs to be made from ragstone mined under Maidstone, including Mote Park, to defend against the French in 1419.

As well as the labyrinth left over from quarrying that took place, there was once a tunnel from the mansion in the heart of the park, Mote House, to the adjacent kitchens.
survey of the mine
IMG_5419.gif

Explore:
Now this is the first mine I ever visited back in 2014 and what started my interest in underground exploration so I always pop down to the entrance from time to time to see if someone’s opened it and to my shock/delight someone had put some graft in to open it. So with my head buzzing with excitement I got on the phone to @richiemelon and my brother in law and within an hour we were in! I’d forgotten just how sketchy this place was and it’s gotten worse since my last visit, from the minute you get in there you feel uneasy as everywhere you look there’s some sort of prop holding up the ceiling! After getting some pics we didn’t even stop for a rest or chat it was straight back out grateful to make it out alive!
An old pic of the entrance
IMG_5461.jpeg

The entrance crawl

IMG_5353.jpeg

IMG_5354.jpeg

Immediately met with props
IMG_5355.jpeg

After this it starts to open up
IMG_5357.jpeg

More props
IMG_5362.jpeg

IMG_5361.jpeg

IMG_5360.jpeg

IMG_5375.jpeg

IMG_5379.jpeg

IMG_5404.jpeg

IMG_5405.jpeg

b685d5e0-62bd-448a-a3cb-1c33ed610214.jpeg

Nice gallery where you can see the layers of limestone
IMG_5366.jpeg

IMG_5389.jpeg

Some old graff
IMG_5393.jpeg

IMG_5392.jpeg

A few of the passageways
IMG_5368.jpeg

IMG_5369.jpeg

IMG_5372.jpeg

IMG_5382.jpeg

IMG_5384.jpeg

Some crawls
IMG_5364.jpeg

IMG_5371.jpeg

IMG_5360.jpeg

I did go back the next day with @Llama @Stumpy_UX and @James Cross but didn’t take no pics, thanks guys for travelling down for it, had a good evening with you’s 👍
Great pics We used to regularly check this but then got lazy but that first crawl looks a lil tight for my liking 😂