real time web analytics
Report - - RAF sculthorpe Norfolk August 2024 Picture heavy | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - RAF sculthorpe Norfolk August 2024 Picture heavy

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

The Young One

Theres rust in my blood
28DL Full Member
History

RAF Sculthorpe was built between the villages of Sculthorpe (to its east) and Syderstone (to its west-north-west) as the second satellite airfield of RAF West Raynham (itself a few miles to the south), the first satellite airfield being RAF Great Massingham. Work began on Sculthorpe in the spring of 1942, and the airfield was laid out as one of only two Royal Air Force (RAF) heavy bomber airfields (the other was the nearby RAF Marham), with the familiar wartime triangular three runway layout expanded by 50 per cent, the main runway being 9,000 feet (2,743 metres) long (compared to the standard 6,000 feet (1,829 metres)) and the subsidiary runways being 6,000 feet (compared to around 4,000 feet (1,219 metres). The work involved construction of the concrete runways, dispersals site, mess facilities, and accommodation. Much of the work was completed by Irish labour working for the company Bovis Construction.

The explore

Undistubed and quiet the way it should be if you do go i advise your quick in the dorms as they are infested by mites bird shit and asbestos and of corse i didnt wear a mask so @chills whats the score now? asbestos 2 me 0? All photos are on my D3200.

DSC_0695.JPG

DSC_0700.JPG

DSC_0701.JPG

DSC_0705.JPG

DSC_0706.JPG

DSC_0713.JPG

DSC_0717.JPG

DSC_0719.JPG

DSC_0721.JPG

DSC_0724.JPG

DSC_0733.JPG

DSC_0734.JPG
Continued

Last edited by a moderator:

The Young One

Theres rust in my blood
28DL Full Member
Comprehensive report! Some great corridor shots and that telephone exchange is excellent too.
Thanks they came out pretty good but a bit blurry but I was without a tripod so I'll take it
Honestly it probably didn't need all these photos, just choose the best 30ish as a lot of Sculthorpe is very samey. Good effort all the same.
Cheers mate will be taken into consideration next time I do a massive site