real time web analytics
Report - - Royal Papworth Hospital, Cambridgeshire - May 2019 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Royal Papworth Hospital, Cambridgeshire - May 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

jsp77

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History of the Royal Papworth Hospital

1 - Nurses-including-Dolly-Landon-centre-c1925-MUST-credit-RPH.jpg

This photo from 1925 with some of the Nurses including Dolly-Landon (centre) - photo credit RPH

Papworth Hospital was founded at Papworth Everard (to the west of Cambridge) in 1918 as a sanatorium for the treatment of tuberculosis among discharged soldiers who had served in the First World War, following a campaign led by Elsbeth Dimsdale, and was initially known as the “Cambridgeshire Tuberculosis Colony”. The institution was initially under the direction of Dr (later Sir) Pendrill Varrier-Jones.

2-Papworth-TB-huts-c1930-Credit-RPH.jpg

This photo from 1930 showing the Papworth Tuberculosis Huts - photo credit RPH

4.jpg

Another photo I found online of one of the wards from Papworth.

From the 1950s, surgical facilities developed, beginning with thoracic (chest/lung) surgery and expanding to cardiac surgery. Surgeon Ben Milstein performed the first open-heart surgery at Papworth Hospital in September 1958.

In August 1979, surgeon Terence English performed the first successful heart transplant in the UK at Papworth Hospital. The patient, Keith Castle, lived for over five years following his surgery. In February 1980, 23-year-old male nurse Paul Coffey became Britain's thirteenth heart transplant patient, when he was given the heart of a woman who had died in a car crash, by surgeons at Papworth Hospital. In February 1986 Paul Coffey and some of his friends started the 'T' Planters Club which held annual fundraising dinners; the ‘T’ was in recognition of the pioneer surgeon Sir Terence English. In the four years between its founding and its winding up in 1990, the ‘T’–Planters Club raised £109,917.

In 1986, alongside a team from Addenbrooke's Hospital, the world's first heart-lung and liver transplant took place at Papworth Hospital. Surgeons John Wallwork and Roy Calne performed the operation on 35-year-old Davina Thompson.

In August 1994 a team of doctors carried out a revolutionary operation when 62-year-old Arthur Cornhill was given the world's first permanent battery-operated heart.

In May 2014, a new CT Scanner was unveiled at the old hospital by its royal patron, the Duchess of Gloucester.

In September 2017, Papworth Hospital was granted the designation “royal” by the Queen and so became Royal Papworth Hospital in January 2018.
The hospital was one of the NHS's leading hospitals in the fight against the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic in the United Kingdom, with some of the best results in the country despite caring for the sickest patients.

In 2020, Series 3 of the BBC show Surgeons: At the Edge of Life premiered, with many operations filmed at Royal Papworth Hospital.

New Building
In December 2013 it was announced that the hospital would move to the Cambridge Biomedical Campus next to Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge. Implementation of the scheme was temporarily delayed, following an intervention by HM Treasury, while the Trust investigated an alternative proposal of moving to the Peterborough City Hospital site, a concept to which there was considerable opposition given the financial problems at that hospital. In March 2015, the hospital announced that its move to the Cambridge Biomedical Campus was being procured under a private finance initiative contract. The construction works, which were carried out by Skanska at a cost of £165 million, started immediately.

In April 2019, following the construction of a new hospital, it began its relocation from its previous location in the village of Papworth Everard to the Cambridge Biomedical Campus, treating its first patients in the new hospital on 1 May 2019. The old hospital was home to numerous medical firsts, including the first successful heart transplant in the UK, the world's first successful heart, lung and liver transplant, and one of the world's first non-beating-heart transplants.

The new hospital on the Cambridge Biomedical Campus treated its first patients in May 2019. It was officially opened by the Queen on 9 July 2019

Papworth was visited may times over the years by the Royal Family and I came across this letter online from 28th July 1930

8.jpg

Explore

After hearing this was due to close early May 2019 and with me living fairly local a plan was hatched. I went the evening before and checked things out finding a route and entry, whilst i was in the building i sent a few photos to PV and agreed we would return the following evening.

Arriving late in the evening the next day with PV we entered the same way as i had done the previous evening and had the place to ourselves, after 5 or 6 hours our limited supplies had ran out and hunger set in. i can recall us finding some packets of dry cereal unopened and in date, so we took a break and indulged on a feast of dry rice crispies. After a few more hours we left the site and went back to the car.

Anyways on with the photos

10.jpg

The next few images are of some of the larger machines we came across at the time of visit

20.jpg

Angiography Room 1

30.jpg

Angiography Room 1

40.jpg

Angiography Room 2

50.jpg

Angiography Room 3

60.jpg

Angiogram X-Ray

70.jpg

Angiogram X-Ray

80.jpg

Radiation Controlled Area - Side Room

90.jpg

Stress Room 2

100.jpg

Keith Castle Room - Gamma Camera Room

110.jpg

120.jpg

130.jpg

X-Ray Waiting Area Corridor

140.jpg

X-Ray Room - Looking Through The Door

150.jpg

X-Ray Machine

160.jpg

Plain Film Room - X-Ray

165.jpg

Room View of X-Ray And Control Station

170.jpg

Another View

180.jpg

X-Ray Machine Controls

190.jpg

Old X-ray Slides

200.jpg

Theatre Corridor and Wheelchair

210.jpg
Theatre Room

220.jpg
Theatre Room

230.jpg

Theatre Room

240.jpg

Theatre Room

250.jpg

Theatre Room - used for storage during the move

to be continued......​

Last edited:

jsp77

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Next A quick look around some of the wards and side rooms

310.jpg

Mallard Ward

320.jpg

330.jpg

340.jpg

350.jpg

360.jpg

370.jpg
A nice stained glass window by John M Seeley

380.jpg

390.jpg

400.jpg

410.jpg

420.jpg

430.jpg

440.jpg

450.jpg

460.jpg

470.jpg

480.jpg

490.jpg

500.jpg

510.jpg

520.jpg

530.jpg

540.jpg

550.jpg

560.jpg

570.jpg

Was nice to find a few good bye messages form all the hard working staff that worked at the Royal Papworth Hospital

580.jpg

590.jpg

600.jpg

This image was spotted under one of the nurse's station desks

to be continued......​

Last edited:

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User
Exceptional that, like people just walked out. What top class report doesn't finish with a picture of some poor sod's bellend hanging off?

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Some proper crisp images there. Tried this in late 2019 and failed.....
We missed the boat on this one anyway, we visited after all the equipment was removed lol

Fantastic set of pics @jsp77 so many interesting bits and pieces Papworth was such a great example at the time, especially with the Mortuary and operating theatres

KPUrban_

Surprisingly Unsurprising
Regular User
Fab set of pictures.
This place certainly didn't disappoint and I can still remember the surrealness being within the place.

Last edited:

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Excellent report. Very interesting history. The old photos are fab. Great images all round. 👍