real time web analytics
Report - - Sevendale House, Manchester - December 2013 | High Stuff | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Sevendale House, Manchester - December 2013

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

tweek

SNC/SWC
Regular User
A couple of Northern Quarter Rooftops, Manchester - December 2013

Northern Quarter is Manchester's trendy district. The trending trends here are instagram'd daily. Bit's of sponsored graff, vinyl dungeons, whiskey bars, piercings, alternative indie gigs, etc. Infact, I'd just been to watch a couple of trendy bands, and with the streets quiet afterwards, I hopped up a hipster rooftop or two so I could update my tumblr.

Sevendale House, Stevenson Square

Stevenson Square was built as a speculative development in the 1780s, originally planned as a middle class residential area. Its developer William Stevenson bought land on the north-east edge of the growing Georgian town and laid out a grid of streets around a rectangular square.

The residential aspect of the suburb was not a success and by the early 19th century the area was being developed with cotton warehouses and mills. This caused a decline in the social status of the area and by the end of the 19th century, the area was densely developed with commercial buildings alongside workers’ housing.

In 1893 the site of Sevendale House was crossed by Bennett Street and occupied by a mixture of houses and small warehouses with inner yards. By the 1890s the success of the cotton trade led to much larger warehouses being built on amalgamated plots, changing the urban grain and scale of the area.

Sevendale House was built as a trade warehouse for I.J. & G.Cooper Ltd in 1903-6 and designed by Manchester architect John Bowden. It is one of a nationally significant group of historic warehouses in Manchester’s Northern Quarter. Its scale, location and architectural style reflect the confidence of the textile industry and related trades in the city. The warehouse was considered to be innovative at the time, with a steel-frame, concrete floors and internal lightwell.

At the time the following photo was taken in 1966, Fred Aldous Ltd had just moved into the premises it still occupies today on the ground floor at Sevendale House.

sevendalehouse1966_zps4c765558.jpg

Fred Aldous

Founded in 1886, Fred Aldous is a family-owned arts and crafts supplier that is still going strong today in the city centre. The original Fred Aldous business was operated out of a hardcart on Elbow Street supplying canes and willows to make skips and baskets for the cotton trade.

fred_aldous_zpsfc177a19.jpg

By 1902, Fred Aldous I had extended the business to include his son, Fred Aldous II.

Although many Manchester companies suffered and declined during the economic depression of the 1920s, Fred Aldous was an exception. It was during this time that the company recognised the potential for the business to develop into supplying arts and crafts materials. Fred Aldous I retired from the business in the 1930s, and under the stewardship of Fred Aldous II the company became a private limited company by 1946. The store moved to a location on Withy Grove after the war and briefly to 31 Back Piccadilly in the 1960s, before finally settling into 37 Lever Street (Sevendale House) where the company still trades.

Photo19_16_zps938ce3aa.jpg

Photo21_18_zpsdb8b47a5.jpg

Photo20_17_zps818a5827.jpg

Photo23_20-2_zps851d97ae.jpg

Photo22_19-3_zpsfe1851e8.jpg

Liberty House, Northern Quarter

A couple from Liberty House just round the corner, which I looked at the same night, starting with a picture looking back toward Stevenson Square.

Photo30_27_zpsf99c258f.jpg

Photo28_25_zps92facc7d.jpg

Photo27_24_zpse5175108.jpg

thanks,
tweek

:Not Worthy