real time web analytics
Report - - St. Piers / Lingfield Epileptic Colony - May 2024 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St. Piers / Lingfield Epileptic Colony - May 2024

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User
THE HISTORY

The information on this place has been surprisingly lacking, appearing to have largely fallen out of the eye of both explorers and historians alike. It seems to have opened at the turn of the 20th century, but no source seems to quite agree when. It opened as a colony-style institution designed to provide disadvantaged men with an education in agricultural skills, hence why it is sometimes referred to as a ‘school’. Not dissimilar in its role to the Mental Deficiency Colonies, although it was a private establishment rather than being administered by county authority. After some use as a WW1 rehabilitation centre, the colony changed name to Lingfield Hospital School for Epileptic Children, with adult residents being moved to the present National Society for Epilepsy in Buckinghamshire. The hospital remained as a private establishment, never falling into the hands of the NHS. In 1972, young people with other neurological conditions other than epilepsy began being admitted, and in 1989 the hospital changed name to St. Piers. The hospital appears to have been gradually added to over the years right up until recent times, and whilst part of it appears to still be in use, a large amount of it likely closed in the last few years. Many of the buildings that we looked at dated from the early and mid 20th century, and if I had to guess I’d say 1920s is when a lot was built.

Screenshot 2024-07-20 121042.jpg

An aerial probably from the 1960s

Given that there wasn’t much info about this place online, I decided to look at the highly expensive book Hospital and Asylum Architecture in England 1840-1914: Building for Health Care by Jeremy Taylor which contains a gazetteer of such places. The hospital is recorded as Lingfield Home for Epileptic Children, opening sometime in the 1900s. It was a special nervous institution and one of many epileptic institutions opened in the early 20th century, including the more widely known Chalfont St. Peters. Lingfield was designed by TP Figgs and AE Munby, who also designed the Cassel Hospital for Nervous Disorders at Penhurst, Kent. I also found a bit more info online here which tells you about the organisation of the hospital school: https://www.bmj.com/content/1/2422/1316

early-1900s-media6.jpg

Children in a classroom at an epileptic institution; potentially Lingfield

THE EXPLORE

As all good stories do, it all began with seeing a picture of a padded cell online. After some discussion and brain-wracking with Mockney, who pointed out that the padding in the background contained something that resembled a Pocock-style panel with an observation hole, we couldn’t think where it might be. I scoured a list of closed mental institutions and couldn’t seem to find any that fitted the bill, except for St. Peters in Chertsey which turned out to be largely demo’d. He eventually got a tip off that it was Lingfield, and so a trip was arranged with @mockney reject , @KPUrban_ and @Seffy.

It appears Lingfield has largely escaped people’s attention, and hence its abandonment seems to have gone unnoticed by explorers for some time. Upon reaching the buildings, we soon found the condition was a fair bit worse than hoped. Unfortunately by now, a lot of it has been absolutely trashed by local yoofs. A 12 year old girl stomping round with a two-metre metal bar in a gang of trackie’d-up kids gives you an idea of the situation here. KP managed to give them a good scare at one point, although when we saw them walking off down the access road we thought we better go and keep an eye on Mockney’s car. Bloody kids! Otherwise it was a pretty chill explore with lots of buildings being wide open and little stopping us. This is probably gonna be one of those reports where I make it look better than it is.

StPiersLingfield-1.jpg

The main complex of buildings at the front, which seems to have been a mix of staff accomodation, classrooms and potentially admin.

StPiersLingfield-2.jpg

StPiersLingfield-8.jpg

Facing from the 1950s dated extension to the original building.

StPiersLingfield-9.jpg

StPiersLingfield-10.jpg

StPiersLingfield-11.jpg

StPiersLingfield-12.jpg

StPiersLingfield-13.jpg

Classrooms and workshops inside the original building

StPiersLingfield-14.jpg

StPiersLingfield-17.jpg

StPiersLingfield-19.jpg

StPiersLingfield-20.jpg

StPiersLingfield-22.jpg

StPiersLingfield-24.jpg

StPiersLingfield-27.jpg

StPiersLingfield-28.jpg

StPiersLingfield-29.jpg

Poor Josh

StPiersLingfield-30.jpg

StPiersLingfield-31.jpg

StPiersLingfield-32.jpg

View towards the hall clocktower

StPiersLingfield-34.jpg

Such Edwardian screened doors always give me an asylum vibe

StPiersLingfield-36.jpg

StPiersLingfield-35.jpg

Potential boardroom or important office in the potential admin

StPiersLingfield-38.jpg

Modern foyer​

Wastelandr

Regular User
We struggled to find where the padded cell might be. After scouring what might have been the original admin building or a large accommodation or nurses block at the west end of the site, we decided to next explore some post-war classroom-type buildings. We didn’t expect these to contain the cell given their more modern construction. These modern buildings were in a very poor state, and whilst wandering them we suddenly came across the cell. Totally not what we expected, there it was in the middle of maybe the shittest building on site. ‘When you order a padded cell from Wish’ we joked. You know it’s not quite the real deal when half the wall is a glass window. The potential ‘Pocock’ panel was actually just a questionably-shaped slit torn in one of the panels. Still, it was nice to see a potential 1950s-era padded cell and the door was quite cool, but it wasn’t as special as we’d hoped. We found an even more modern looking cell too with brightly coloured padding. We concluded they were probably more ‘time-out’ rooms than full-blown seclusion cells.

StPiersLingfield-46.jpg

StPiersLingfield-39.jpg

StPiersLingfield-43.jpg

StPiersLingfield-40.jpg

Padded cell no.1 - a sign that things might be awry

StPiersLingfield-42.jpg

StPiersLingfield-48.jpg

Padded cell no.2 which we'd been looking for. The shot we'd seen online didn't show the window inside, so we were expecting something better.

StPiersLingfield-50.jpg

When you order a padded cell from Temu

StPiersLingfield-49.jpg

StPiersLingfield-51.jpg

This context shot shows the cell's fairly underwhelming surroundings

StPiersLingfield-52.jpg

We did find a padded sink though!

StPiersLingfield-53.jpg

And maybe the first urbex padded toilet - supposedly for banging your head against during those particularly nasty ones

StPiersLingfield-55.jpg

Inside an older outbuilding of the main complex

StPiersLingfield-56.jpg

According to some graffiti on the door, this room contains asbestos and we'd be dead in approx. 1-2 years. Have a cracking 2026 guys.

StPiersLingfield-57.jpg

A wild KP

StPiersLingfield-58.jpg

A more modern demountable

We next moved on the several blocks on the southern side of the site. These appeared to be more conventional accommodation blocks, with the two either side seemed to date to the 1920s-ish, and the central one being intentionally later with its mansard roof. The easternmost of these blocks was the nicest, being the most original inside with some nice decay, whilst still being quite heavily converted. The others were less interesting and fairly modern. At one point after some button-poking, the building’s alarm went off. It was pretty loud, and we saw a guy walking down the road in the distance. However, we managed to switch it off and the guy passed by unawares, just going about his business.

StPiersLingfield-60.jpg

Exterior of the larger and newer middle of the southern three blocks

StPiersLingfield-61.jpg

StPiersLingfield-63.jpg

StPiersLingfield-64.jpg

Rear of the block

StPiersLingfield-65.jpg

The easternmost and nicest of the three blocks

StPiersLingfield-69.jpg

StPiersLingfield-70.jpg

Front entrance and stairwell

StPiersLingfield-71.jpg

StPiersLingfield-72.jpg

StPiersLingfield-74.jpg

StPiersLingfield-75.jpg

StPiersLingfield-78.jpg

The room with the most old hospital vibes in the whole place

StPiersLingfield-79.jpg

Bathroom looking a bit rough

StPiersLingfield-80.jpg

StPiersLingfield-82.jpg

Last edited:

Wastelandr

Regular User
Finally we had a venture nearer to the active buildings towards the east of the site, realising things were quite relaxed. There was a small chapel, and I regret not squeezing in here to have a look but I’d imagine it was probably quite plain and modernised. The hall was maybe the nicest thing on site, but be clear THE HALL IS ACTIVELY USED. We were lucky enough to stroll in but didn’t want to be too cheeky as it’s still very much an active community space. I was so tempted to put the blinds up to reveal the rather nice windows, and I think Seffy was quite tempted to make a coffee, but we didn’t want to take the P.

StPiersLingfield-84.jpg

The chapel

StPiersLingfield-85.jpg

The recreation hall with clocktower

StPiersLingfield-86.jpg

StPiersLingfield-92.jpg

Plaque outside the hall dated 1924

StPiersLingfield-89.jpg

StPiersLingfield-90.jpg

StPiersLingfield-91.jpg

Gutted I couldn't put the blinds up, but it was clearly in the middle of being set up for an event

Heading around the east of the site, there were several more disused looking buildings but we’d seen a fair bit and we got the impression there wasn’t loads more of interest. We did briefly look at an original villa at the far eastern end of the site, which looked cool but we didn’t get inside. Looked okay peering in the entrance, but who knows maybe it was trashed as well.

StPiersLingfield-93.jpg

StPiersLingfield-94.jpg

StPiersLingfield-96.jpg

StPiersLingfield-95.jpg

We concluded a successful explore with a Spoons lunch. It wasn’t the most amazing explore but made for a good mooch, even if the padded cell wasn’t quite what we’d hoped for!

That's all folks :thumb

Last edited:

KPUrban_

Surprisingly Unsurprising
Regular User
Got some cracking images here and a good day overall.
Slightly disappointed that the "padded cell" was more of a squishy cupboard.

Last edited:

Mikeymutt

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Not really sure it's that bad really. Expectations must be very high now. I would go just for the padded big. Superb set of images.

albino-jay

g00n Buster
Staff member
Yeah i think it’s mint that. Great report and photo’s mate.

Love the temu cell 😂 and the sink….. Coulda done with one of them once when i slipped pissed up and bust my face open on one 🫠

Wastelandr

Regular User
Padded sink wins. That’s a first for me! Looks alright that! Good stuff man.
Cheers mate!

Oh hello! Drove into this place years ago when going to something else nearby, stuck a mental pin in it to check back later and completely forgot. That was until I had a chat with @mockney reject when trying to figure something out lol

Great to see it!
Ah nice, I think this place would've been in its prime about a year ago. Shame it didn't get tried sooner but better late than never!

Wastelandr

Regular User
Got some cracking images here and a good day overall.
Slightly disappointed that the "padded cell" was more of a squishy cupboard.
Cheers! Haha squishy cupboard, think that's pretty accurate :lol

If this was polishing a turd it's a most successful turd polishing. The padded sink is excellent.
Haha cheers! :turd

Not really sure it's that bad really. Expectations must be very high now. I would go just for the padded big. Superb set of images.
Cheers Mikey, I think it's one of those where the pictures made it look a lot better. Most of the place was just covered in smashed up glass and graff. Still not insignificant in size though.

Yeah i think it’s mint that. Great report and photo’s mate.

Love the temu cell 😂 and the sink….. Coulda done with one of them once when i slipped pissed up and bust my face open on one 🫠
Thanks mate glad you liked, oof that doesn't sound fun!

Very comprehensive write up that man! That fire alarm though 🤣
Cheers mate was a good day! Aha yeah thankfully it ceased swiftly

Wastelandr

Regular User
Very nice. Certainly has Harperbury vibes to it.
Padded sink is certainly a new one I think!
Definitely a similar sort of arrangement, although this was a bit lacking in original features and architectural interest. Would've liked to have seen Harperbury, especially in its earlier days.

Mikeymutt

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Cheers Mikey, I think it's one of those where the pictures made it look a lot better. Most of the place was just covered in smashed up glass and graff. Still not insignificant in size though.
Yeah on closer look at the pics you can see graffiti and a lot of smashing up. Shame really, but still a worth while one by the looks of it. Definitely has a Haperbury feel to it like Dweeb said.

Who has read this thread (Total: 170) View details