real time web analytics
Report - - The River Medlock Part 1 - July 2024 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The River Medlock Part 1 - July 2024

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Mr Budge

28DL Regular User
Regular User
BRIEF HISTORY

'The River Medlock is a key watercourse in Greater Manchester, England, originating in the Pennines and flowing southwest through Oldham and central Manchester before joining the River Irwell near Castlefield. Spanning approximately 10 miles, it is one of the three main rivers in Manchester, along with the River Irwell and the River Irk. Historically, the Medlock played a significant role during the Industrial Revolution, with its waters powering numerous mills and factories. In recent years, there have been efforts to revitalize the river, improving its ecological health and incorporating it into urban green spaces.'

The culverts along the River Medlock have been covered numerous times over the years, a good report by @TheVicar here - Vicars report click here and a dedicated video series by @MartyZero here - Medlock videos click here

One midweek sunny afternoon me and @GRONK headed over to town to make our way through the mighty Medlock and see how far we could get before it got to late being a school night.

Starting of at Deansgate we hop a wall in waders to mark the start of a long journey.
This is where the Medlock ends running into a low culvert where it meets Catlefield basin, i regret not walking down to it as it is worth looking at but this section of river was a bast*rd on the feet so we carried on upstream.

1.jpg

The first culvert we reached under 'Medlock street' lol

2.jpg

4.jpg

Looking in at a blurry Gronk you can see the road above.

3.jpg

Looking at what i believe is the outfall of the river Tib?, to the right of this there is a tall egged shaped sewer that looks dis used which we didn't get chance to wander up.

5.jpg

10.jpg

6.jpg

A short walk in open air culvert takes us to the old Hotspur Press and we arrive at the next short section of culvert.

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Nothing to interesting in the short culvert which brought us out alongside the Kimpton Clocktower hotel, something else i missed when it was doing the rounds.

11.jpg

12.jpg

Some stunning brickwork, apparently the basements quite nice to.

13.jpg

Here we have the outfall of UMIST.

we made a slight error in thinking we coudn't pass where the entrance to HFLB is, we later realised we were just approaching it wrong and it was indeed passable.

This was the second time on the stroll that surface dwellers had started to film us.

14.jpg

Big dirty slab of concrete mass but i love it.
15.jpg

18.jpg

16.jpg

Shameless selfies.

17.jpg

The infall to UMIST.

20.jpg

I want to come back here during bad weather on a trusty explorer pro.

21.jpg

🫡

Last edited:

Parky

The Devil Is in the Details
Regular User
Some great pics! Regarding the Tib, the outfall is a bricked up arch with a plastic pipe sticking out of it..

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Lovely photos. Especially like that red brick shot. That one reminds me of a different country