real time web analytics
Report - - Thorpe St Andrews Nurses Block, Norwich - September 2024 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Thorpe St Andrews Nurses Block, Norwich - September 2024

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Mikeymutt

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Visited this several times in summer 2022. I thought I would give it a revisit to see the state after seeing some pics. It’s in a very sorry state now after a few years, it was in mint condition on my first visit. It was still alarmed, and can still hear the ringing in my ears as it was next to the lovely stairs, this is now smashed up on the floor. This is more of a then and now report. As sad as it is to see, anyone who has been doing this for a while will know this is natural progression for derelict buildings. From pristine to vandalised and metal fairies coming in, to the inevitable fire or demolition. You will get the usual people who say “I can’t believe this happened”, or this is why you don’t share pins, or true explorers don’t do this. But it’s mainly kids and people after copper who do this. Most owners don’t care about the buildings and prob hope they will burn down, I think the NHS own this still and would prob be happy to see it go up in smoke. A relaxed visit, but the ironic thing was that as I pulled up outside in the lay-by nearby a car pulled up and reversed in the little drive. Turned out it was security and he got out to check around the building, I just drove off and came back twenty mins later and he had done his walk and gone.

This building started life as the nurses block. Purposely built away from the original half of the asylum, it was built due to the nurses were taking up room in the main hospital. Moving them into purpose built accommodation would free up room for more patients. As is usual with these old hospital buildings, it was constructed to a very high standards. With nice big windows and large fireplaces. Built in a squared shape it had a central bit which was probably landscaped at the time. As said it was later used as a secure unit. It had a few incidents including one involving a 23 year old woman. She was admitted to the unit and being treated for depression. She had befriended a man n the ward as it was a mixed unit. Doctors were concerned about the friendship as he was a convicted sex offender. why you would put someone like that on a mixed ward is beyond me. The staff could not say anything due to confidentiality rules. She then complained to staff and the police that she had been raped. The police dropped the case after six weeks citing “lack of evidence”. She was placed in suicide watch that day after writing suicidal thoughts on a note. She was left alone for twenty mins unsupervised, and found by hanged In her room by staff.
The unit shut in 2016 and it looked like some work had stated inside with doors taken off and stood up, radiators covers took off. And the usual markings on the floors by surveyors for what is going were. Sadly nothing ever happened to it despite the initial feeling it would have something.

The main grand staircase has had all its balustrade smashed to bits.

IMG_7901.jpeg

IMG_7773.jpeg

IMG_7902.jpeg

IMG_7774.jpeg

IMG_7903.jpeg

IMG_7775.jpeg

IMG_7913.jpeg

IMG_7776.jpeg

IMG_7904.jpeg

IMG_7777.jpeg

IMG_7906.jpeg

IMG_7778.jpeg

IMG_7907.jpeg

IMG_7779.jpeg

IMG_7908.jpeg

IMG_7802.jpeg

IMG_7909.jpeg

IMG_7781.jpeg

The upstairs had not suffered as much, prob because the ceilings are not suspended and filled with wires and pipes. Just some graffiti and smashed windows, radiators ripped off the walls, etc.

IMG_7910.jpeg

IMG_7782.jpeg

Main entrance waiting room, nice to see all the fire surrounds intact though.

IMG_7911.jpeg

IMG_7783.jpeg

IMG_7912.jpeg

IMG_7780.jpeg

And just a few more pics inside the building now as well.

IMG_7784.jpeg

IMG_7786.jpeg

IMG_7785.jpeg

JakeV50

"The Pump People"
Regular User
Really cool to see the comparison shots. Didn't appreciate how clean it was when I first saw it. Went late last year and it was bad then but it's in a terrible state looking at your photos now.
Fire due within the next 6 months I reckon.

Mikeymutt

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Really cool to see the comparison shots. Didn't appreciate how clean it was when I first saw it. Went late last year and it was bad then but it's in a terrible state looking at your photos now.
Fire due within the next 6 months I reckon.
I know. It really was in good condition. No graffiti or broken windows. Only were contractors had took doors off for some reason and put markings down. It's really bad now. I am surprised the fire never happened in the summer holidays.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
I'm always sad to see building go like this, you can see its man made destruction. That staircase was perfect. Mindless idiots. I bet the chimney is still the same though lol