real time web analytics
Report - - Town Hall, Wakefield - December 2012 | High Stuff | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Town Hall, Wakefield - December 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Fudge

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Visited this one alone.

This night initially began with the intention of going to check out what would have been a really nice roof in Huddersfield, but the scaffolding had been taken away in the space of two days. I mean, builders are lazy, I have to chase them up all day every day, two days, really?! Anyway, lets not dwell on that. Fearing I was boarding the fail train I scooted on over to Wakefield where I've been meaning to take a look at the roof of the cathedral. This didn't work out either. Final attempt at getting a roof to keep me sane I decided to look at the Town Hall. A little bit of sneaking around and I was up on the roof before I knew it.

Little bit of history.

Designed by T.W Collcutt, the architect of Bloomsbury Square, Wakefield Town Hall was constructed between 1877 and 1880 and is now Grade I listed. It is made from Spinkwell Stone and unusually lacks detail for something of the period, however it is still a beautiful building in its own right.

The gothic revival building was built in order to rival the likes of Leeds and Bradford as the principle government centre of West Yorkshire. There had already been disappointment in the area due to the fact that Wakefield lost the Assizes Court to Leeds because of a lack of suitable buildings in the area.

8263799695_af6bb73b1a_c.jpg

8261925395_10cd10ca32_c.jpg

8262993022_86090328f0_c.jpg

8262992384_3f40c430c4_c.jpg

8261923123_f212bf87cd_c.jpg

If anyone has more history on the place then feel free to correct me, I'm no expert on the history of the area.

Thanks for looking.​