real time web analytics
Question - - Tripods | Kit / Clothing / Equipment | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - Tripods

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Hey guys I finally bought a camera (nikon d3200) and was wondering what tripod to get for it any recommendations?
Decent stuff mate, I had a D3200 for my first camera and it served me well for many years. The quality was no worse than my current camera. I bought the cheapest ball head tripod I could find from K&F, it is not as well built as the more expensive models but it is so lightweight so it suits the hobby well. It's this one.

The Young One

Theres rust in my blood
28DL Full Member
Decent stuff mate, I had a D3200 for my first camera and it served me well for many years. The quality was no worse than my current camera. I bought the cheapest ball head tripod I could find from K&F, it is not as well built as the more expensive models but it is so lightweight so it suits the hobby well. It's this one.
Seems alright I might get that one

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Definitely get a K&F, I've had one and I can honestly say it made my life so much easier. I had one of them cheap ones with the stupid arm that sticks out you use to move it around when I first started, it was absolutely awful and I ended up chucking it. Bought a K&F second hand but unused from marketplace for £45. Best thing I've ever done. Mine is quite heavy but feels solid, this is the one I use TM2515T1 67”/170cm Aluminum Camera Tripod Best Tripod

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Also what lenses did you have with it and what ones work best for exploring?
I have a canon now, but still useful information.

For me I have 3 reasonably priced lenses, and they are so versatile.

- Canon 10-18mm f/4.5-f/5.6: Use this one the majority of the time, a wide angle is essential for exploring IMO

- Canon 50mm f/1.4: Good lens for detail shots, get that nice blurry background and can get away with not using a tripod thanks to the wide aperture (lets more light in)

- Canon 15-85mm f/3.5-f/5.6: Good overall lens which I use for specific scenarios, it's so bloody crisp for what it is aswell

Nikon probably do similar sort of stuff. I would start with a wide angle lens which goes down to at least 11-12mm and has a range up to 18-24mm or so. I've just seen Nikon do a 10-30mm lens with image stabilisation, that would be perfect, but not sure if it would support your camera, I haven't looked. Edit: looks like its for Nikons smaller range.

Last edited:

slayaaaa

Honestly, kit lens will do you fine. That's all I've ever used and if you're packing light it's all you'll ever need for derps/drains/etc. If you're on a budget. Also had the d3200 for a few years did me well until I dropped it!

Velbon ut53d best tripod out there that packs down to a foot in length and still has the strength to hold my medium format. Had it 10 years, never let me down. You're looking 80quid tho for it new.

Bugsuperstar

Irresponsible & Reckless
Regular User
I’ve had a manfrotto modo since 2009, only tripod I’ve ever used since. It was pricey enough at the time but totally worth it. I don’t think they make it anymore but an equivalent should be available.

KPUrban_

Surprisingly Unsurprising
Regular User
First of all, decent camera choice.

On the subject of tripods:
ThreeLeggedThing would be my suggestion although they are quite pricey...
Mine has been seriously used and abused over the last few years and, the only damage I can report is a missing bit of rubber which is nothing, it's also light weight (carbon fibre and all that) and can be dissembled into a monopod.
Had a couple or off brand tripods before had which all broke within a few moments.
In short, if you're thinking long term, get something decent and sturdy.

On the question of lenses:
If you've got the camera in a kit, use that for the time being and get used to just using the camera. Kit lenses are also cheap on the second hand market so you don't need to worry too much about damaging it. The only downside is taking wide angle images.
The keen favourite for UE stuff, especially starting out, is the Sigma 10-10-20mm which will work wonders is tight areas or buildings (think operating theatres, offices and stuff like that).

In the meantime, get some practice, and mess around with the numerous modes ect (especially manual).

Last edited:

alex17595

Down t'pit
Regular User
I use a manfrotto MKC3-H01 and have done for a number of years. Its been dragged around mines for years and the only damage is some of the rubber feet are now missing. It's solidly built while still being fairly lightweight.

I bought an amazon basics one when I lost my manfrotto and it was nowhere near as good. Broke within a few trips.

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
Get a Manfrotto and you'll never own any other brand. They sell literally every spare part for all their current tripods too as well as some older ones.

flimflam

28DL Member
28DL Member
For posterity / future readers, I’d recommend checking out Travel Tripod Rankings - they use consistent testing methodology to objectively compare different tripods.

Anything near the top of that list will serve you very well.

That’s not to say that tripods missing from the list aren’t worth your time, but it’s a good reference point and explains what to look for in a tripod.

Anecdotally, I’d recommend getting the best tripod you can afford. This is because a nice digital camera may last you 10 years before it becomes obsolete or breaks, whereas a nice tripod can last a lifetime.

Apologies to be responding when you’ve already purchased a tripod, but hopefully this could help someone down the line.