real time web analytics
Report - - Waitrose and Decathlon Culvert - Sheffield - 2024 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Waitrose and Decathlon Culvert - Sheffield - 2024

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Parky

The Devil Is in the Details
Regular User
(Explored with @grimbo)

These 2 culverts are culverts over the Porter Brook.
They vary in age, some newer and some older which is apparent from the change in construction such as stone, concrete or brick.
I have had my eye on these 2 culverts for a while, but never got down to getting them done..
I decided to get them done while showing Grimbo Megatron, as he was in Sheffield for the day.

Decathlon Culvert
To start off, we did these drains from outfall to infall, just to stop any confusion!
This is the shortest of the 2 culverts, as it only takes you under Decathlon car park to where Office Outlet used to be.
The outfall to this drain, a section of the decathlon carpark, had previously collapsed.
Unsurprisingly, it took about 4 years for this section to finally be rebuilt, however even with the new supports we were still weary...

_DSC0171.JPG

Round a corner and were in a lovely stone arch.
_DSC0177.JPG

Round the corner and you're at the infall with the Waitrose culvert in the distance.
_DSC0182.JPG

Once again taking pics of Grimbo taking pics..
_DSC0179.JPG

Then it was onto the Waitrose culvert, which starts off with a deep ass pit.
(pic by Grimbo)
Grimbo: "Keep standing there. Keep standing there. Keep standing there. Keep standing there. Keep standing there."
Me: "I AM, FUCKFACE."
WhatsApp Image 2024-07-05 at 22.26.12 (1).jpeg

We managed to get past this with minimal fuss.
Me: "Theres a small bridge there for you"
Grimbo: *arse deep in Porter Brook water* "Fuck off!!!"

After this it was stooping until the trough shallows, thats when we decided to walk up the trough to save our backs (and our bags!!)
(pic by Grimbo)
WhatsApp Image 2024-07-05 at 22.26.12.jpeg

Eventually we come up to a small open section, this is where we notice scaffolding.
Before we talk about said scaffolding we also went past this sizable side tunnel.

_DSC0209.JPG

However we were not up for the effort of stooping up that, plus there was a very odd smell in this drain..
Anyway, we notice scaffolding down into this open section.
We get past this open section into the next section of culvert and notice lots of cement bags, bulbs hung up and other sorts of concrete spraying equipent.
We also noticed a very fresh bucket of cement.
Despite this, we decided to carry on, but we had to be quick!
_DSC0186.JPG

The black bucket to the left (not the one with the white bucket in) was full with this fresher cement.
_DSC0192.JPG

Eventually this trough gives way for a nice walkable concrete box.
_DSC0205.JPG

After a few twists and turns it gives way for a nice spraycreted arch (looking back towards it)
_DSC0195.JPG

Then the biggest section of the 2 culverts!
_DSC0197.JPG

_DSC0200.JPG

Round the corner, then we were met with daylight, however no way out here!

_DSC0201.JPG

Just before leaving we noticed a very suspiciously new looking pipe sticking out the wall, spitting out all manner of shit. Toilet paper, turds, the lot.
I did indeed take a photo of this on my phone, but sadly my phone broke LITERALLY as I got home.
I don't think anyone would like to see it anyway, it was proper rank!

Anyway, we turned back, hoping that no workers had come back off their break into the culvert.
Coast was clear! We made a quick exit, then treated ourselves to some KFC!
Cheers to Grimbo for great company and banter.

Parky out :thumb

Last edited:

jezzyboo

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Always loved the porter culverts always overshadowed by megatron they never get there due respects cracking little explore , Glad you enjoyed them nice pics brought back happy memories :thumb

Parky

The Devil Is in the Details
Regular User
Always loved the porter culverts always overshadowed by megatron they never get there due respects cracking little explore , Glad you enjoyed them nice pics brought back happy memories :thumb
Yeah was mainly influenced by the report you did to finally get them done