real time web analytics
Report - - RAF Sculthorpe Bulk Fuel Installation..Norfolk, June 2024 | Military Sites | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - RAF Sculthorpe Bulk Fuel Installation..Norfolk, June 2024

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Mikeymutt

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Screenshot_20240731_145926_Maps.jpg

Is this what the fed the raf bases?
Yeah that's the one. Did look at it the same day. It's very sealed. I have a dodgy shoulder at the min so the gate was a no go at the min.

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Oh really. You should tag a few of your photos as never seen any from here. You have done every location in the UK I reckon.
yep after I looked at the accom block I remember seeing it as I drove by & thought whats that. I watched a truck or traktor go in the gate so waited 10 min then just parked in the gate & ran in.
I have over 80 EU explores done now which I havent had time to post lol

tigger

mog
Regular User
Quick and dirty waffle....The BFI at Sculthorpe was built in the 1950s as a result of the Cold War Era expansion of the GPSS (which had been largely decommissioned after 1946). Fed from from Thetford via Massingham AFDD. (This pipeline also had a spur before Massingham, to feed Marham). Prior to the new BFI and pipeline spur aviation fuel had been supplied to the airfield in bowsers and 'jerry' cans from Massingham. The water tank is as you suggest for fire-fighting. In military parlance an EWS (Emergency Water Supply). They were sited all over airfields, including the accomodation areas.
Another new pipeline extension from Thetford serviced Lakenheath and Mildenhall.

Mikeymutt

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Quick and dirty waffle....The BFI at Sculthorpe was built in the 1950s as a result of the Cold War Era expansion of the GPSS (which had been largely decommissioned after 1946). Fed from from Thetford via Massingham AFDD. (This pipeline also had a spur before Massingham, to feed Marham). Prior to the new BFI and pipeline spur aviation fuel had been supplied to the airfield in bowsers and 'jerry' cans from Massingham. The water tank is as you suggest for fire-fighting. In military parlance an EWS (Emergency Water Supply). They were sited all over airfields, including the accomodation areas.
Another new pipeline extension from Thetford serviced Lakenheath and Mildenhall.
Thank you Tigger. Roughly what I thought. Bet that was a job moving it from Massingham originally though. I thought it might be a fire fighting pool. Seen them in several bomb stores.