real time web analytics
Report - - The Old Royal High School/New Parliament House, Edinburgh - April 2019 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The Old Royal High School/New Parliament House, Edinburgh - April 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

jsp77

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History

The Old Royal High School, also known as New Parliament House, is a significant neoclassical building located on Calton Hill in Edinburgh. Designed by Thomas Hamilton, it was constructed between 1826 and 1829. The building originally served as the premises for the Royal High School, one of Edinburgh’s most prestigious educational institutions.

4 High_School,_Calton_Hill,_1829.jpg

The Royal High School in 1829

5 Scottish architect.jpg

Thomas Hamilton (11 January 1784 – 24 February 1858)

Key Architectural Features:
Façade: The building’s façade is dominated by a grand portico with six Ionic columns, which is reminiscent of ancient Greek temples. This gives the building a majestic and imposing presence on Calton Hill.
Symmetry: The design is highly symmetrical, a hallmark of neoclassical architecture, emphasizing balance and proportion.
Materials: Constructed primarily from sandstone, the building has a warm, golden hue that complements its classical design.
Interior: Inside, the building features spacious, high-ceilinged rooms with large windows that allow natural light to flood in, enhancing the sense of openness and grandeur.

Historical Significance:
The building’s architectural style was intended to reflect the values of enlightenment and education, aligning with its original purpose as a school. Its design has been praised for its beauty and its ability to blend harmoniously with the surrounding landscape of Calton Hill.

1 - Old Photograph Interior Royal High School Edinburgh Scotland.jpg

Unsure on date, but this shows how it was when built

In the 1970s, there were proposals to use the building as the home for a devolved Scottish Assembly, but these plans did not come to fruition. The school relocated to larger premises in Barnton in 1968, and since then, the building has seen various proposed uses, including a luxury hotel and a National Centre for Photography.

Currently, there are plans to transform the building into a National Centre for Music, which would provide a new home for St. Mary’s Music School.

Explore

Visited this twice with PV, once in 2018, stopped off here on the way to Sunnyside and sadly we looked and looked but could not find an entry point. I even tried the shitty pigeon way without success, I do remember getting shit on a few times as I spooked them out.

Roll the clocks forward another year and we returned and this time we were in and after having to wait a year it was well worth the trip. We spent the night in sleeping bags and headed off at first light. Then returned a week later for another night before the long drive back to Hertfordshire, but as I was driving home we saw what looked to be a nice town hall that needed further investigation. An hour or two later and back in the car heading south.

Photos
10.jpg

20.jpg

30.jpg

40.jpg

50.jpg

60.jpg

70.jpg

80.jpg

90.jpg

100.jpg

110.jpg

120.jpg

130.jpg

140.jpg

150.jpg

160.jpg

170.jpg

180.jpg

190.jpg

200.jpg

210.jpg

220.jpg

230.jpg

240.jpg

250.jpg

260.jpg

270.jpg

Thanks for looking :thumb

Last edited:

KPUrban_

Surprisingly Unsurprising
Regular User
Had the fright of my life here a few years back. They'd hidden an armadillo in the most random spot ever.

KPUrban_

Surprisingly Unsurprising
Regular User
@KPUrban_ where abouts was that hidden?
I can't quite remeber from the top of my head where exactly it was hidden. All I remember was opening a door into a very dark room (bearing in mind it was night-time) and then seeing the entire room light up accompanied by the notoriously loud alarm.

I bet that made you jump…
I shat myself and, inadvertently, booted a pigeon which had joined in the commotion of our panic.

Nothingtonobody

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Beautifully written. I adore the way you write; it was a pleasure to read. Your writing is vibrant and exceptionally stunning.

Your photographs are fantastic! I love the angles and composition.

This is my favourite report so far. Excellent.

jsp77

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Beautifully written. I adore the way you write; it was a pleasure to read. Your writing is vibrant and exceptionally stunning.

Your photographs are fantastic! I love the angles and composition.

This is my favourite report so far. Excellent.
I can't take all the credit for the history part as it was taken in parts from a few online pages, however I did put all the info /pics together.

Thanks @Nothingtonobody