real time web analytics
Report - - Bradford Gas Works, Holder No.2 - Manchester 2019. (UPDATED) | Industrial Sites | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Bradford Gas Works, Holder No.2 - Manchester 2019. (UPDATED)

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
5 years ago I managed to tackle this beast, and it's been on borrowed time ever since...

1.jpg

It's younger brother bit the dust the previous year, as seen in the above shot further down Bradford Road ^

..And below

29.jpg

The obsolescence of gas holders as part of the UK's energy infrastructure meant that the country's network of holders have since been demolished in large numbers.

National Grid's asset disposal team have been on somewhat of a mission to decommission these once industrial staples of the urban landscape in recent years.

Now reduced to high pressure pipelines, Manchester was no exception as I managed to invest some time to capture this scant reminder of the area's once industrial legacy.

31.jpg

The last sign you'll see of Saxon Street ;)

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

25.jpg

Some time later, it was finally curtains for No.2 as you can see here with the "bell" being ripped into as they finally began to demolish this iconic structure.

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Next job was to remove the "lifts" from within the tank itself, this took a good few weeks involving a lot of cutting and folding of the metals before they could be transported off site.

9.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

As the lifts and associated structures were removed, revealing the 50ft tank it was also quickly being infilled as they worked.

Comprised of 4,000,000 bricks it slowly disappeared over the coming weeks.

10.jpg

A few final pics of the huge steel support structure which once guided the lifts allowing the holder to fill with town gas in a bygone era.

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

A couple of months ago almost, work started on dismantling the huge steel framework.

14.jpg

Once the gas axe was swinging I made a number of trips to capture it's demise as well as some video footage for posterity.

Here's a couple to remind you nothing lasts forever.

15.jpg

16.jpg

Going...

17.jpg

18.jpg

Going..

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

GONE.

22.jpg

23.jpg

Once synonymous with the might of British industry it's sad to report after 116 years, Bradford No.2 is no longer.

1908 - 2024 R.I.P ♥

24.jpg

Last edited: