real time web analytics
General Photo Thread | Photo Threads | Page 134 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

General Photo Thread

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Llama

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
A few shots from a permission visit in June to one of London's church belltowers...
Kindly made possible by my good friend @GG :thumb

image_123650291 (1).JPG

image_123650291 (2).JPG

image_123650291 (3).JPG

image_123650291 (4).JPG

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User
Not worth doing a report on but was in Bristol this weekend and whilst hungover I did a quick swing by the Barrow Hospital site to take a quick look at this surviving building. The rest is now demolished/converted to housing. Didn't go inside as I wasn't in a great state but I got the impression it may not have been worth it, although I thought the building was in a lot worse state than it was so perhaps I was getting mixed up with a different one that's demod now. Here's some history and also my thoughts on the architecture/design of the hospital:​

Barrow Hospital Entrance Lodge

Barrow Hospital at Barrow Gurney near Bristol was the last ever of the county 'asylum' mental hospital institutions in England and Wales, officially opening in 1939; two years after Runwell in Essex which stuck to a more conventional interconnected building layout. The last surviving building of the hospital, aside from staff houses and a highly ruined villa, is this; the entrance lodge.

BarrowHospital-10.jpg

BarrowHospital-1.jpg

BarrowHospital-8.jpg

Barrow was different in that it formed a colony of individual villa-type buildings; a method proposed for asylums since the late 19th century, taking off in Europe, America and in Scotland (Bangour Village) but only ever attempted here in England once as designers were apprehensive about adopting this non-traditional layout.

1.jpg

The style of the villas are unique with their domestic mansard roofs, and the architectural style was distinctly plain and modern, yet not in the slightly more indulgent Art Deco style of Runwell (although its nurses' block also made use of a similar mansard-roof). Instead, it suggests a shift towards the functional modernism of post-war architecture, making this place unique.

BarrowHospital-5.jpg

BarrowHospital-12.jpg

Last edited:

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
As I was in the area the other weekend I had a little wander around the derelict scrapyard in Finedon - I first shot this right about six years ago now, and the area surrounding it, as well as the place itself, is almost unrecognisable. At least I got my criminally under-used 30mm prime out for a play, although the dappled sunlight was a nightmare.

53886395261_6988d6f965_b.jpg

53885480912_efd358fba4_b.jpg

53886813810_6873d22a47_b.jpg

53886813800_f51000e275_b.jpg

53886395231_c3f741ff9c_b.jpg

53885480782_bfdb5d6662_b.jpg

53885480747_edbcc7ef53_b.jpg

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
Yeah the only thing I can think is that they're going to demo the site because it's not worth saving
Security was sound

Or they got fed up of the parties and stuff going on and put them up before someone got hurt or worse, as it was so easy to do.

Who has read this thread (Total: 2776) View details