real time web analytics
Report - - Ysgol Pen Rhos / Copperworks Community Infant School | Llanelli | May 24 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Ysgol Pen Rhos / Copperworks Community Infant School | Llanelli | May 24

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Ryhsj

Proud Welsh
28DL Full Member
The History:
Copperworks is situated approximately half a mile south of Llanelli Town Centre. It is the oldest remaining school in the Llanelli area and is rich in history, being established in 1847 by R.J.Nevill, to serve the children of the area. The original school building still stands to this day.
Richard Nevill was originally from Birmingham where his father was Mayor of the City and managed a Copper works. The family decided to move to Llanelli because of the heavy demand for coal in the newly developing industries in the South Wales area. Coal was plentiful in Llanelli.

In 1804, they approached a number of pit owners to secure a supply of coal for their proposed Copper Works. The construction of the Copper Works and its associated docks began in 1805.

The Nevill family were caring employers and created a mini welfare system for their employees. All the needs of the employees and their families were taken care of, midwives, healthcare, social care, housing and education were provided by the Nevill family.

Copperworks School was initially established as a works charity school, a free school for the children of parents who were employed at the Copper Works and the Caemaen and Box Collieries, by Richard Nevill in the early years of the 19th.century. The school existed in the yard of the Copper Works, and not on its present site.

Eventually, after many years the present school building was built by Richard Nevill along with contributions made by local industrialists. The school, which came into commission in 1847 was ranked as one of the outstanding schools of its type in the 19th century.

The Explore:
Entry was tricky, nearly fell off the roof but fortunately had a friend to hold me :Not Worthy

The place is quite empty but there are still things to be found.

Quite a confusing spot to research, there is another ysgol pen rhos down the road but entry is sealed as of now. @RealBBNC and @A-DOG managed to get in around march and according to them ‘It’s the fun school’. Was confused until I saw a video of A-dog hopping off a springboard on the 2nd floor onto a crash mat, that guy is wild.

Anyways, Im gonna assume that they relocated or that this was the site for the younger students, it went under the copperworks name for most it’s history so I suppose I can refer to it as that from now on.

Enough Ranting, enjoy the pictures

The Photos:

A view from outside
IMG_8387.jpeg

A view from the inside yard
IMG_8362.jpeg

IMG_8363.jpeg

RealBBNC making his way into the canteen
IMG_8364.jpeg

IMG_8366.jpeg

One of the classrooms
IMG_8367.jpeg

IMG_8368.jpeg

The wallpaper is strange in this room
IMG_8369.jpeg

Some storage
IMG_8370.jpeg

The toilets
IMG_8371.jpeg

Another classroom
IMG_8372.jpeg

The layout of this school is strange to say the least, no proper corridors so you would walk through classrooms to get to where you needed to be, sounds like a nightmare

Some more toilets
IMG_8373.jpeg

Another classroom
IMG_8374.jpeg

I swear every school had something like this, Not sure why
IMG_8375.jpeg

The alarms
IMG_8376.jpeg

In the canteen going towards the kitchen
IMG_8377.jpeg

Some chairs just placed here, why here? I would not know
IMG_8378.jpeg

Whatever this is
IMG_8379.jpeg

More kitchen appliances, suprised these have not been wrecked
IMG_8380.jpeg

IMG_8381.jpeg

The main hall bit, also doubles as another canteen
IMG_8382.jpeg

Overall, it was not worth the climb for us all.
From what I have seen the other school had much more but I don’t have enough photos for a good report sorry :(

BBNC
Ryhs