real time web analytics
PLEASE READ. I OFFER TOTALLY FREE OLD MAP AREA SEARCHES. | New Members Introduction | 28DaysLater.co.uk

PLEASE READ. I OFFER TOTALLY FREE OLD MAP AREA SEARCHES.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

marknestbox

28DL Member
28DL Member
In brief, I have been into cartography for 55 years and explore Victorian O/S maps daily; I am a fanatic! I know of a great many 'Lost Properties', as I call them, all over the UK, ones lost in woodland, etc, that seem unknown in the main. If you nominate an area of say, five square miles, then I will seek out any existing structures from the 19c within it. Simple. Get in touch if interested. Thank you.

pirate

Rum Swigger
28DL Full Member
M grandad was trained as a cartographer during WW2 on Crete where he was based as a royal marine commando.
He later worked for the government at the old American military base that was in bushey park.

A question: he used to have what I think were aluminium plates that were etched into and possibly used in the printing process…….does this sound plausible ?

Scoobysrt

Teim scoobs
28DL Full Member
A question: he used to have what I think were aluminium plates that were etched into and possibly used in the printing process…….does this sound plausible ?

You mean litho plates? Still used in the industry today I think.

Seffy

Staff member
Would message you but have no idea how to on this site 😂
You won’t be able to send private messages at your user level sadly, maybe best to use email or socials etc. the PM feature will come with continued contribution :)

Midnight Odyssey

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
You mean litho plates? Still used in the industry today I think.
Lithography (specifically photolithography) is literally the cornerstone of the computing industry as well. The website we're on now is only accessible because our computers / devices have CPUs that are made of unbelievable amounts of individual semiconductors, and those semiconductors and made via photolithographic processes. So interesting, and so interesting to see how the process also relates to cartography!

Antonymes

28DL Member
28DL Member
In brief, I have been into cartography for 55 years and explore Victorian O/S maps daily; I am a fanatic! I know of a great many 'Lost Properties', as I call them, all over the UK, ones lost in woodland, etc, that seem unknown in the main. If you nominate an area of say, five square miles, then I will seek out any existing structures from the 19c within it. Simple. Get in touch if interested. Thank you.
How do I contact you?